Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'98 Legacy 2.2, timing belt woes, cam loading?

Only pulled 1 sprocket to change the water pump. My chilton tells me how to test a 3 wire coil, but this one is a 4 wire coil.  Can't figure why this one has a 4 wire coil unless it has something to do with the EGR? Any suggestions?

One wire is 12v

One wire is ground

the other 2 are the signal from transistor.

You can figure the ground and 12v by unpluggint the connector and probing for 12v and continuity to ground.

After that......hook a test light to 12v and probe the remaining 2 wires during cranking.....you should see pulse in the light......If there is no pulse...the transistor is supect.....If the light pulses....but you don't get spark......your coil is bad.

I Would disconnect and reconnect the main engine connectors to make sure you don't just have a loose connection.

We did the test & we have ground & continuity to ground. We see pulse during cranking on one wire. We have no pulse on the greyish blue wire.We have dim glow before cranking.You said the transistor is suspect, Where is the transistor & how do you test it?

• 1 year later...

have the same problem. but i replaced head gaskets . had it towed to local garage which they did get it started with new coil pack wires wnd plugs . but the car has no power at all. car ran fine when i took it apart now they want to replace the catalyic converter,think theg are just throwing parts at it hoping for the best.