Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bajabaru

NorthCoast

Just thought I would share a fun project that TSSFab has got going on right now.  A few of you have seen some of the pics but I figured I would throw it out there for everyone. Pics aren't necessarilly in order for the first post but I'll keep the updates coming as they happen.

Rear 

IMAG0126_zpsf4595f9d.jpg

IMAG0137_zps6cbb5c7b.jpg

IMAG0127_zps5cff53e0.jpg

Front Subframe

0f541835-649e-45f4-a00e-2b7b000ce4c1_zps

IMAG0185_zps16c139f8.jpg

Control Arms

IMAG0281_zps7bbbce75.jpg

IMAG0279_zpsd931154a.jpg

IMAG0360_zps3db73460.jpg

IMAG0370_zpsafe9055a.jpg

IMAG0373_zpsd7444542.jpg

• Like 2

As the name may imply... Are these guys going to beat me to it and complete the baja 500 or baja 1000 in a subaru?

Last I checked it had been tried by a couple rally subarus but none finished the race... or even made it more than 100 miles before the car sustained too much damage to continue. The suspension stiffness, lack of travel and ground clearance were to blame. This seems to be solving those issues.

If these guys have their sights set on baja I'll have to rethink my dreams... Maybe i'll be the first to finish in an 84 GL wagon. :D

• Like 2

As the name may imply... Are these guys going to beat me to it and complete the baja 500 or baja 1000 in a subaru?

Last I checked it had been tried by a couple rally subarus but none finished the race... or even made it more than 100 miles before the car sustained too much damage to continue. The suspension stiffness, lack of travel and ground clearance were to blame. This seems to be solving those issues.

If these guys have their sights set on baja I'll have to rethink my dreams... Maybe i'll be the first to finish in an 84 GL wagon. :D

I know a guy in Astoria and he and his doctor buddy did it (Baja) in a 98 outback with a moderately beefed up suspension...mostly stock just 1" spacer and good nitrogen charged coilovers......not really "racing" so much as "also running" so that maybe why you didn't hear of it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine participated in the the SCORE 250 back in the late 70s...  She's beat up fairly badly, but perhaps one day it'll do the baja once again...

• 4 weeks later...

It's MAGIC Robert! MAGIC.

If you drink a sixer of barley pops, puff down a bowl or two, then put on your shemagh and some mirrored aviators then you might clearly see through the optical illusion presented in the above pictures.  :ph34r:

There is a ton of room for the Ford Expedition axles that are going in the front.  Can you not see in 3D like the rest of us?   :P

• Like 3

So, which ones?8.8's?

I just have to say, I still love the work, but If I was doing it and going Ford, I would go 9".But. regardless, the weight of the vehicle can be handled a bit by 8.8's.

Nice, was wondering which he was going with.

I like it. something I havee been contemplating for a long fawking time.

Glad someone is actually doing it . And proper at that. I would have built from the diffs out. , not to say he didn't, but it is kinda deceiving when you look at the pictars.

cheers

Edited by monstaru

The shaft has about 2 inches of clearance in the front but for now im running rear drive with stock box till i can find a sti trans.
The rear is not ford at all its toyota supra diff 4.3 plate diff much stronger than 8.8 even though its only 8 inch, the cvs are
930 cv adapters and sand rail shafts with ford expo outers in the rear latter going to get bigger ones made. The hubs are
02- ford front hubs and custom knuckles i should have done 04+ 6 lug hubs bigger breaks more bolts just beefier but
considering the ones now are meant for a truck twice my subies weight I think we are ok. If you dont know who I am I have
done almost every rear diff swap in subarus and build subaru framing for a living for a hand full of the fastest subarus
around the world. Really glad you guys are fallowing the build cant wait to finish it. The car next is going to a friends and
we are going to build a sub chassis to hole everything from bending apart.

IMAG0484_zps9huwn6sd.jpg

• Like 2

Great looking build! Most of the off roaders (mine included) are done on a very small budget and with used parts. Neat to see what can be done with a little more fab and $$$. Looking like a very capable rig.

1200 bucks so far shocks included