Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bushings

Is there a place to buy bushings for Loyales? Not the bushing for struts which seem easily available but the other bushings in the steering system. In general the availability of parts for Loyales on line (at places like NAPA, ROCK AUTO) seems very poor.

The stabilizer bar that runs front front wheel to front wheel, I can't think what it is called, has two sets of bushings an inner set and an outer set where it bolts to the lower control arm. The inner set seem to fit very loosely. Are they supposed to be that way?

My 91 Loyale tends to suddenly veer across the lane. It will steer straight for a while then suddenly veer the other way. On other occasions it will steer left to right to left and repeat, not much but rhythmically. What could cause this? The usual first suggestion is the tie rod ends but I can't see any looseness there. Is there a good way to check that?

Lift the nose letting the tires free hang lock the steering wheel wiggle the tire back n forth on it's steering axis, should be a little play but not much from bouncing on the wheel lock, make sure you listen for noises.

Figure the sway bar as an anti roll device, it ties both sides of the IFS together, pretty much a torsion bar that's only under stress when one tire is up and the other is down.

From what it sounds like alignment is doing this \-/ which is unstable at speed... Typically done to this effect /-\ with drag and flexing ending up like |-| at speed... Or your noticing the effects of severely grooved road surfaces

Edited by TallonX

Lift the nose letting the tires free hang lock the steering wheel wiggle the tire back n forth on it's steering axis, should be a little play but not much from bouncing on the wheel lock, make sure you listen for noises.

Figure the sway bar as an anti roll device, it ties both sides of the IFS together, pretty much a torsion bar that's only under stress when one tire is up and the other is down.

From what it sounds like alignment is doing this \-/ which is unstable at speed... Typically done to this effect /-\ with drag and flexing ending up like |-| at speed... Or your noticing the effects of severely grooved road surfaces

I can't see any play so I will have to look into the alignment, I guess. Are you talking about toe in and saying that it should be toe out?

My book (one in reach) says spec is 5/64"-5/16" toe in for 4wd sw 90+ probably supposed to be toe out as it states for previous years but most of these books have issues lol

Check all your steering shaft components under the hood

Edited by TallonX

Try here for bushings

sales@obtusa.com

Amir (914) 302-2431

He has owned older Subaru's was a great help.

Here some part numbers they gave me for what I was looking for.

Ea82 control arm kit SPF1691K.

Trailing arm complete bushing kit SPF1144K

• 4 months later...

Here are brat part numbers.

Super pro:

SPF1383-22K Front swaybar to chassis 22mm
SPF1099-17K Sway bar to lower control arm 17mm
SPF1097K Lower control arm, Split bush and tube 28mm 
SPF1098K Front strut bar to chassis (radius rod) 17mm

Rear
SPF1144K Rear trailing arm kit (Split bushes and tubes)
SPF3005K X3 Diff pinion to crossmember. 1 for diff to torsion bar, 2 for diff hanger/ mo bar

Source:

http://www.ausubaru.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25245

• Like 1

• 8 months later...