Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fossilized Subaru found - No kidding !

Hello.

I was a real Subaru freak years ago, and this last weekend I discovered a fossilized 1983 Subaru Brat.

- Why do I say Fossilized?

This poor specimen had obviously been almost completely neglected if not abused for DECADES.

It had a fine red dust encrusting EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE, EVERYWHERE, EVERYWHERE; Every tiniest place, inside, underneath, behind, etc.  When I went to start cleaning this thing up, I discovered that the dust over time had apparently become solid, almost like sandstone.

This was not hardnened mud, this was a loose, very fine red dust that had compacted over time until it had become sedimentary.

I was using a very stiff grout brush, the kind that can take your skin off, and had to use heavy scrubbing action, to even wear it down.

Some times it would actually chip apart, but most of it could not be broken up or removed from the surface it was on without breaking the original platic underneath. I had to essentially wear and grind through it with that grout brush. We are talking about heavy-arm heavy scrubbing for minutes just to clear a small area.  There was much less on the outer body, most of it was on the interior unfortunately.

So.... being that this Subaru was litterally found encrusted in sedimentary deposits, that qualifies it as a "Fossil".

- At least as far as I'm concerned, lol.

• Like 1

Pics?

Well, I wish I could, except (A) The deposits of wonder were mostly on the interior, I presume rain would naturally wash off anything on the outside, and (B) I had to try to clean it up, it was my wonderful new Subaru. If the chips that came off were of any real size, I would have saved them for bragging points. All you have is my word, sorry.