Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Near-Paranormal Subaru Phenomena - #3

There are not many things that will stop a Subaru Brat.

There are those obvious pesky obstacles like solid walls, large boulders, large trees, very large mining shafts in the ground (please don't ask, and the mining shaft did not actually "Stop" my Subaru, it just changed its direction rather abruptly, lol)

For the record, I have rarely ever even engaged the 4WD for any reason, only because I have rarely if ever actually needed it.

- yet another wonder in the design of these fantastic machines.

One fine day, a freind wanted to go along on one of my off-roading trips. - I warned him, I did I did; he knew full well how I drove these things, but he insisted, so told him to update his insurance and get it.

We raced off to the Mountains on a broad and steep highway, and he said "Why are you racing like this?", and I told him that the sooner we got to the dirt, the more time we will have to goof off in the dirt.

When we got to the dirt roads, he said "Why are you racing like this?" and I said now when we start having fun!!!

We went all over creation, we went places we should not have gone, we went places that were just plain crazy, and then we spied the dry lake bed.

Oh, I cannot leave without going out there! So off we went, doing unspeakable things and violating every traffic rule we could, and then on the way back we had taken another course, unfortunately, because it turned out that not all of the lake was completely dried up. Below our wheels there was at least 6 - 12 inches of hard, dry broken clay, but it got thinner, until we let up on the gas for just a second, and were instantly bogged down to past the floor boards in lake sludge! I had equipment, we tried everything, but that lake sludge was worse than glue! We were forced to temporarily abandon the Brat and search for help.

My friend did not understand my optimism, my faith, my grin, as we walked onto and down the nearest road.

- and there is was, sitting at the base of a mailbox post was an old abandoned Subaru engine! THIS was the place to go!

So we sallied forth, I offered the homeowner and fellow Subaruist $20 to pull my Brat out of the mud.

First they tried an over-powered big ol' Ford F-350 1 ton 4WD truck, but it could not budge the Brat, so they got an equally built-up jeep and tied them both together with heavy towing strapping, It took the tow of them together to pull that little Subau Brat out of the mud!

On the way out, the man helping us let us know that we were not the first to do this, that he had pulled vehicles out before, but nothing was ever as stuck and hard to pull out as that Brat! - So that tells you just what it takes to stop a Brat! 2 feet deep of thick, heavy lake sludge!

He also let us know that there was a $1500.00 fine for off-roading on that lake, and that the only Towing outfit that would pull you out charged $500.00 to do it! - I was so happy !!!!! Despite what had happened, we were the luckiest guys in the world, and I could have been in a very bad situation, but everything was going to be OK!!!

But then it was the trip back - the Brat had several inches thick of this lake sludge stubbornly making itself 'one' with the whole bottom half of the Brat. We tried to get as much off as we could, but after about 30 minutes of using 5 gallon buckets to get the stuff off, we gave up and just headed for home. The Brat drove a lot differently, and was running low like we had the bed full of scrap steel or something, and we left a TRAIL, and GLOBS of this gray semi-solid MUCK all the way down the mountain and most of the way to my friend's house, when I figured that if some cop really wanted, he could easily follow me, so I took it to a coin-op car wash and spent about $10.00 in 1987 money washing that stuff off!

I saved a small container of this stuff for years as a souvenir.

• Like 2

Hmmmmm... You're driving sounds suspiciously like mine. I have on many occasions had as much as 3/4 of a coed of would in the Brat bombing back down the mountain to the camp site drifting around corners straight up on one side and straight down on the other with my buddy defecating in his all too tighty whities and screaming like a girl to slow down.   I would love to get together and bomb around on the forest service roads, but I'm afraid this might jump start the apocalypse. lol

Hmmmmm... You're driving sounds suspiciously like mine. I have on many occasions had as much as 3/4 of a coed of would in the Brat bombing back down the mountain to the camp site drifting around corners straight up on one side and straight down on the other with my buddy defecating in his all too tighty whities and screaming like a girl to slow down.   I would love to get together and bomb around on the forest service roads, but I'm afraid this might jump start the apocalypse. lol

Hmmmm.... Subaru starts the Apocalypse, Hmmmm.... I think you have something there! - But I think I would need a flare gun too....