Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Near-Paranormal Subaru Phenomena - #9 Offroad Bets

Way back in the day I made a LOT of money on offroad bets with my Brats.

The Subaru Brat is small, has great gas mileage, has 4WD, and other advantages that can enable it to out-offroad the biggest and best out there.

Here was the bet: I would drive up in my Brat to a group of guys with their trucks out in the 'nothing where there are only miles of wilderness and dirt roads. My brats were never modified with bigger wheels or turbo or anything like that. I did my tweaks, but it was a stock body, engine, tranny, etc.  I would bet that I could out-offroad anyone there, and had $100.00 cash to prove it. I would get laughted at, I was laughed at so hard, laugh, laugh, laugh, they laughed hard at me and my little Brat - util I would make a point of it and say something like "Are you going to walk away from a fool and his money?". I would be so arrogant, so smug, and that was the clincher, because it was all about flaring up thier ego, and in those days, half the ime they were already hitting the beer, so thier judgment and ego were mine to use!

The bet: They had to go anywhere I went, with no deviation. If I went to the left of something, under, over, through, they had to follow in my tracks without exception, if they did not, they lose the bet! Bet was taken, every time. They had big tucks with big wheels and special racks in the back to hold a spare tire, and the paint and stickers, - they had not chance! They HAD to prove they were mach, or had to get my money for partying!

Well first, The Subaru Brat is a DAMN good offroader to beiging with, it has almost as big a gas tank as most small trucks, was lightweight to get over things that a built-up offroad truck would sink into, - and oh, I did mention that they are SMALLER ???

If I could not out-offroad them, I could out-last them with my mileage, and I always had a full tank when I did this, but I did not want to take that long, so I had several places memorized where there were two trees or other objects too close together for one of those trucks to pass through, and all I would have to do is fold in my over-size rear-view mirrors and go between the trees!

Oh they would be pissed off! Oh they would gripe and complain, etc. but the bet was the bet, and usually they paid.

Only one time did I lose this bet. I got too cocky with my failsafes and one day I was up against a modified Suzuki Pickup. These things were TINY! The cab was hardy 5 feet wide, and looked like the cab on an old 1940's 1950's pickup, and I have no idea how the hell he made it 4WD but long story short, he won. I did not mind paying up. After a while I could not do it anymore, because when I tried people would start whispering to each other and not taking the bet. Aparently my shenanigans were getting known and almost nobody would take the bet.

It was great fun while it lasted, and made me a hell of a lot of money for a while, so I didn't mind too much.

• Like 1

Hehe having fun reminiscing man? Great stories, all of em... I could toss in a few myself but none of it was in a Roo... Ah the rigs that'll bring a tear to your eye...

73 Maverick 4 door "drive in special" first car

82 Mk2 P-Type Supra hehe my patriot missile

73 F250 Flatbed my Warthog the look what I can do truck

86 F350 XLT Lariat 4x4 can you say tonka toy? And sexy... Really sexy...

Which I traded for...

87 Subaru GL Wagon... Reminds me of the Supra, hence the black band across the bottom and the new black body line accent band... She earned that stripe, 40k miles 2 years, Alt mod, brakes, extreme carb cleaning, oil, gas, spray paint... Nary a complaint endearing lil car I must say :)

• Like 1

Outside of Subarus, my favorites were my first car, a 1973 Monte Carlo with swivel bucket seats - Man, do I miss those seats! and a 1978 Dodge Magnum ex-police pursuit with a 440 engine that could PIN you to the back of your seat when floored!

Way back in the day I made a LOT of money on offroad bets with my Brats.

The Subaru Brat is small, has great gas mileage, has 4WD, and other advantages that can enable it to out-offroad the biggest and best out there.

Here was the bet: I would drive up in my Brat to a group of guys with their trucks out in the 'nothing where there are only miles of wilderness and dirt roads. My brats were never modified with bigger wheels or turbo or anything like that. I did my tweaks, but it was a stock body, engine, tranny, etc.  I would bet that I could out-offroad anyone there, and had $100.00 cash to prove it. I would get laughted at, I was laughed at so hard, laugh, laugh, laugh, they laughed hard at me and my little Brat - util I would make a point of it and say something like "Are you going to walk away from a fool and his money?". I would be so arrogant, so smug, and that was the clincher, because it was all about flaring up thier ego, and in those days, half the ime they were already hitting the beer, so thier judgment and ego were mine to use!

The bet: They had to go anywhere I went, with no deviation. If I went to the left of something, under, over, through, they had to follow in my tracks without exception, if they did not, they lose the bet! Bet was taken, every time. They had big tucks with big wheels and special racks in the back to hold a spare tire, and the paint and stickers, - they had not chance! They HAD to prove they were mach, or had to get my money for partying!

Well first, The Subaru Brat is a DAMN good offroader to beiging with, it has almost as big a gas tank as most small trucks, was lightweight to get over things that a built-up offroad truck would sink into, - and oh, I did mention that they are SMALLER ???

If I could not out-offroad them, I could out-last them with my mileage, and I always had a full tank when I did this, but I did not want to take that long, so I had several places memorized where there were two trees or other objects too close together for one of those trucks to pass through, and all I would have to do is fold in my over-size rear-view mirrors and go between the trees!

Oh they would be pissed off! Oh they would gripe and complain, etc. but the bet was the bet, and usually they paid.

Only one time did I lose this bet. I got too cocky with my failsafes and one day I was up against a modified Suzuki Pickup. These things were TINY! The cab was hardy 5 feet wide, and looked like the cab on an old 1940's 1950's pickup, and I have no idea how the hell he made it 4WD but long story short, he won. I did not mind paying up. After a while I could not do it anymore, because when I tried people would start whispering to each other and not taking the bet. Aparently my shenanigans were getting known and almost nobody would take the bet.

It was great fun while it lasted, and made me a hell of a lot of money for a while, so I didn't mind too much.

I'm from medford.  I love my subarus, but the guys you much have been "wheeling" against probably didnt have lockers, gears, and the necessities to actually wheel.  Not just drive around on rough roads.  There isn't a lot of true wheeling down there.  I got by for a long time in my ranger with just 33's and a 6 inch lift.  When I really wanted to get nasty it got full width straight axles, v8, 4:1 atlas t case and 37's.  A lot of body work and tummy tucking later it sat an inch lower then with the 33's only I had tires that were 4 inches bigger.

My first subaru, and 83 gl wagon with big quad tires went to the grave when i cartwheeled it while out jumping quads at the white city ponds.  Soobies rock.

I'm from medford.  I love my subarus, but the guys you much have been "wheeling" against probably didnt have lockers, gears, and the necessities to actually wheel.  Not just drive around on rough roads.  There isn't a lot of true wheeling down there.  I got by for a long time in my ranger with just 33's and a 6 inch lift.  When I really wanted to get nasty it got full width straight axles, v8, 4:1 atlas t case and 37's.  A lot of body work and tummy tucking later it sat an inch lower then with the 33's only I had tires that were 4 inches bigger.

My first subaru, and 83 gl wagon with big quad tires went to the grave when i cartwheeled it while out jumping quads at the white city ponds.  Soobies rock.

Yes, all that works of course, but there are still places where those vehicles can't go, a Subaru breezes through, lol....