Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Running a 235/75/R15 on a 98 OBS

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 xxx

xxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Edmonton, AB

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:42 PM

Hey, I really hate to be the guy who signs up to a forum to ask a question that's already been answered but I've been looking around for a few hours to no avail.  I've been really interested in lifted Subarus for a couple years now and am looking to make one my next project/DD and am in the process of hunting parts/a car.  My main question is what I will have to do to make a 235/75/R15 tire fit on a 1998 Impreza OBS with the "forester lift".  I've seen people saying it won't fit, but those cases seemed like they were opposed to cutting fenders (which I am not).  Basically how much trimming would actually be involved and what kind of offset I should be looking for in a wheel so it doesn't rub on struts or control arms or anything like that.  Would ideally like to run a 15x8 wheel on the set up as well. 

#2 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 805 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

I run 215 75 15 with just a little space left between the spring perches and with some light fender trimming.

It's been done with 1 inch wheel spacers and additional trimming/bashing. I think Monstaru did it with Stella. And WagonRyan and Ryot1 I believe run 235/75/15s. They both have build threads in the members rides section. They can provide more info than I can.

#3 wagonryan

wagonryan

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 24 April 2014 - 12:11 AM

Yeah short answer is you can get them to fit. As previously stated monstaru did it with forester struts and a 2inch lift and apt of fender trimming and I did it with a 6" lift. Realistically you will probably want to at least do a 4" body lift

#4 xxx

xxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Edmonton, AB

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:10 AM

A 4" or 6" lift is in the works but for now it would be nice to get by with just the Forester springs/shocks and some trimming.  I already have a set of 235/70/R15s I can run so I was wanting to just throw them on and do the lift when I have more free time/money.

Thanks AS for the heads up on the Stella build, and I'm assuming you mean a 1" spacer with the stock wheels?  I had already seen wagonryan's build (I actually think it may be the one I saw a couple years ago that turned me on to the idea of a lifted OBW) but he obviously has a lift and everything to accomodate the big fat tires.

#5 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • Puyallup, WA

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

You'll have to do a lot of trimming.  Basically trim it at the paint line below the pin striping.  Like this..

IMG_5625.jpg

You will still need a 1" spacer with the stock wheel.

Funny to look back at all the changes Stella has gone through with each owner.  The only OEM parts left on her are the dash and most of the shell. 

Edited by NorthCoast, 24 April 2014 - 09:15 AM.

#6 AdventureSubaru

AdventureSubaru

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 805 posts
  • Scotts Valley, CA

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

Yeah. I think that's what Monstaru did initially with Stella. He cleared 235/75/15 without a body lift by using 1 inch spacers and 04 Forester struts if I'm remembering right.

Looking at mine, with one inc spacers on there, it would be close. The issue would likely be the tire width more than the height to avoid rubbing the spring perches.

#7 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • Puyallup, WA

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:28 AM

No rubbing on the perches.  I've got OB struts on her now and I don't rub with a 1" spacer.  Only place I get rubbing is the back of the wheel well on full lock.  xxx... you will need to grind down that seam and take a BFH to the backside of the wheel well.

#8 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,384 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

I had 07-08 Forester struts. Just to be precise.
And yes, I did trim those fenders that way.
Also, Pretty sure I used Forester rims to get the slightly differnt offset

Edited by monstaru, 24 April 2014 - 10:20 PM.

#9 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,888 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:06 AM

My Bro runs 235/75/15 Bighorns on a Legacy.......Using Forrester rims and Outback struts.....3" lift blocks barely any triming.

Not sure why you guys need spacers???

Edited by Gloyale, 25 April 2014 - 12:08 AM.

#10 subiwag

subiwag

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Northgate, WA

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:48 AM

My Bro runs 235/75/15 Bighorns on a Legacy.......Using Forrester rims and Outback struts.....3" lift blocks barely any triming.

Not sure why you guys need spacers???

i think they are referring to 1 inch spacers on top of the struts

#11 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,888 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:27 AM

i think they are referring to 1 inch spacers on top of the struts

No, I believe they are refering to Wheel spacers.....and rubbing on the spring perch....not the fenders.

Forrester wheels are 5mm deeper offset.

#12 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • Puyallup, WA

Posted 25 April 2014 - 10:37 AM

It's for the stance yo!

Actually Dan is correct. If I run stock wheels I don't need spacers but I use jeep wheels so technically they're wheel adapters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users