Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Running a 235/75/R15 on a 98 OBS

xxx

Hey, I really hate to be the guy who signs up to a forum to ask a question that's already been answered but I've been looking around for a few hours to no avail.  I've been really interested in lifted Subarus for a couple years now and am looking to make one my next project/DD and am in the process of hunting parts/a car.  My main question is what I will have to do to make a 235/75/R15 tire fit on a 1998 Impreza OBS with the "forester lift".  I've seen people saying it won't fit, but those cases seemed like they were opposed to cutting fenders (which I am not).  Basically how much trimming would actually be involved and what kind of offset I should be looking for in a wheel so it doesn't rub on struts or control arms or anything like that.  Would ideally like to run a 15x8 wheel on the set up as well. 

I run 215 75 15 with just a little space left between the spring perches and with some light fender trimming.

It's been done with 1 inch wheel spacers and additional trimming/bashing. I think Monstaru did it with Stella. And WagonRyan and Ryot1 I believe run 235/75/15s. They both have build threads in the members rides section. They can provide more info than I can.

A 4" or 6" lift is in the works but for now it would be nice to get by with just the Forester springs/shocks and some trimming.  I already have a set of 235/70/R15s I can run so I was wanting to just throw them on and do the lift when I have more free time/money.

Thanks AS for the heads up on the Stella build, and I'm assuming you mean a 1" spacer with the stock wheels?  I had already seen wagonryan's build (I actually think it may be the one I saw a couple years ago that turned me on to the idea of a lifted OBW) but he obviously has a lift and everything to accomodate the big fat tires.

You'll have to do a lot of trimming.  Basically trim it at the paint line below the pin striping.  Like this..

IMG_5625.jpg

You will still need a 1" spacer with the stock wheel.

Funny to look back at all the changes Stella has gone through with each owner.  The only OEM parts left on her are the dash and most of the shell. 

Edited by NorthCoast

Yeah. I think that's what Monstaru did initially with Stella. He cleared 235/75/15 without a body lift by using 1 inch spacers and 04 Forester struts if I'm remembering right.

Looking at mine, with one inc spacers on there, it would be close. The issue would likely be the tire width more than the height to avoid rubbing the spring perches.

No rubbing on the perches.  I've got OB struts on her now and I don't rub with a 1" spacer.  Only place I get rubbing is the back of the wheel well on full lock.  xxx... you will need to grind down that seam and take a BFH to the backside of the wheel well.

My Bro runs 235/75/15 Bighorns on a Legacy.......Using Forrester rims and Outback struts.....3" lift blocks barely any triming.

Not sure why you guys need spacers???

i think they are referring to 1 inch spacers on top of the struts