Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

06 Baja Turbo Engine Blown - Replace with Non-Turbo?

Turbo baja Replace with normlly aspirat

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fairweatherrider

fairweatherrider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Lander, WY

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:50 PM

The turbo on my 06 Baja went south and basically took the entire motor with it by virtue of spreading metal particles into every orifice. I'd like to replace the toasted engine with a non-turbo 2.5 SOHC. Anybody have any experience or comments with a plan like this? Thanks.

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,900 posts
  • WV

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

do you mean you want to ditch the turbo entirely or make a franken-motor so you can use the cheaper NA engines?

my turbo experience is very limited but i'll base some things on non-turbo experience and some things i know that would be "possible", though maybe problematic for some reason or another.

if you mean ditch the turbo and just go with NA - if, as i suspect, the turbo's have associated sensors so that will lead to a check engine light without some workarounds.

if there's a way to keep boost down to really low levels like 3 or 5 psi you could possibly run an NA engine with the existing turbo set up.  that's probably the option i'd look into.  find a smaller turbo or way to mitigate the boost levels.

bolt the turbo heads (if they're good) to the NA block and use a thicker headgasket to loose some compression - cometic makes varying thickness headgaskets and would certainly know if this is possible or not...certainly, i think. lol.  probably still want to mitigate boost on a build like this too.

you might be able to even better yet use an EJ22 or some other block to lower compression in order to run the turbo still. 

or maybe your pistons are still good and can be installed in an NA block?

Edited by grossgary, 24 April 2014 - 08:38 PM.

#3 fairweatherrider

fairweatherrider

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Lander, WY

Posted 24 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

To clarify, I want to ditch the turbo and drop in a 2.5 normally aspirated 2.5 SOHC. Any suggestions? Thanks!

#4 presslab

presslab

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 867 posts
  • N. California

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

To use the stock EJ25 you'll need to replace a bunch of wiring and the ECU as well.  This is not easy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Turbo, baja, Replace with normlly aspirat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users