Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cracked Pedal Box: EA82 for an EA81?

So, I was changing the clutch cable on my 2nd Gen Brat when I found out the pedal box was cracked in two places. :banghead:  This was causing the pedal box to give and flex during operation of the clutch cable, which was resulting in poor shifting. I'm having an incredibly hard time sourcing a replacement.  Pulling and welding the current one seems like my only other option, and that would probably not be as permanent of a fix as I would like. My first inclination was to check and see if I could use an ea82 pedal box. Has anyone done this?

Just playing with my pedal boxes today,noticed I kept one from an auto - don't have any clutch cable pull point :)

I fixed my first one that did this to me in my EA81 Brumby by welding 10mm rod to the inside edges top and bottom ? Subsequent ones go the full 2mm plate riveted in place at same time I was adapting to EA82 cable.

Word is if you have pedal box out for repair, may as well swap in, read, convert, to EA82 cable for its easier mounting, once yo have worked out its extremes, others have also used the EA82 clutch pedal - gives 10mm more pull at clutch end , less effort ?

EA82 pedal box is not a direct fit in to A81

Many years ago trying to teach a daughter how to drive a manual my clutch pedal fell in the floor. Is this what you are referring to? She had managed to break all the spot welds holding the pedal bracket in place. I drilled and bolted it in. Hope that helps.