Ultimate Subaru Message Board

running engine oil drip?

First time posting .. I have a 87 gl dr with a weber installation I have done with the help from this great place. Problem I'm having is when I have the motor running its dripping oil from somewhere pretty sure it isn't the oil pan.. took a pic #1 is like a 10-15 sec drip.. #2 is just showing another drip ..ideas?

post-47755-0-44618900-1398400296_thumb.jpg

Edited by cornbreadfed

it's really dirty so hard to tell where it's emanating from but it appears it could be above the oil sending unit.

looks like oil pump or crank seal to me.

that requires taking the timing belt off so if it's never been done the proper maintenance for reliability/longevity would be:

1.  reseal the oil pump (2 orings and a shaft seal)

2.  replace crank seal

3.  replace cam seals and two cam cap orings

4.  replace the timing components - belt, tensioners, pulley - the kits are only $60 - $100 online for everything.

takes a couple hours and is rather easy to do.  do that and you've got a reliable 50,000 miles coming from it.

Could be. Grossary already stated what would have to be done. There is almost no way to tell from pictures once the oil has coated parts as such. It is one or more of the items he mentioned. For $100.00 and some of your time you can eliminate all possible sources.