Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What is this thing on the bottom of my engine?

Was changing my oil for the second time since I bought this car, and noticed this little guy just sorta hanging out beside the filter, no wire in sight with a broken off end, but the ring terminal is still screwed into it. Took it out, cleaned it up and figured I would ask what the he!! it is. Here are some pictures of it all cleaned off, has 12v (volt I'm guessing,that pretty simple) and some other stuff stamped onto it. I figure it has something to do with the oil?  Here is where it screws into.

IMG_20140421_191338_965_zpsywgkqc30.jpg

IMG_20140421_191346_158_zpsso62oibq.jpg

IMG_20140421_191352_792_zpspsunoge3.jpg

IMG_20140421_191359_358_zpsmh9vtt82.jpg

IMG_20140421_191404_648_zpsknluanzy.jpg

IMG_20140421_191554_406_zps6syuguvp.jpg

IMG_20140421_191619_816_zpsuusiewta.jpg

Was changing my oil for the second time since I bought this car, and noticed this little guy just sorta hanging out beside the filter, no wire in sight with a broken off end, but the ring terminal is still screwed into it. Took it out, cleaned it up and figured I would ask what the he!! it is. Here are some pictures of it all cleaned off, has 12v (volt I'm guessing,that pretty simple) and some other stuff stamped onto it. I figure it has something to do with the oil?  Here is where it screws into.

IMG_20140421_191619_816_zpsuusiewta.jpg

I am assuming his car has a Oil Light, not gauge..........Either a Loyale, or DL model.......And it's had an oil pump or whole engine swap at some point from a GL or Loyale w/gauge.

You can see up in the left corner is the Oil Light Switch..........It threads into a different port that the variable sender for the Gauge....which is the open hole below it.

I knew that it was something to do with the oil, although I was more wondering where the wire that connects to it is, or if it is gone (I still haven't been able to find it), how do I install/rig a new one into the car.   

The other forums I am a member of often insist pictures of anything and everything, so I am in that habit. (It also helps alot).

My car is a Loyale 1993, less than 100k miles, original engine. Just someone has broken off that wire at some point another, or replaced the sending unit from another car maybe? I did indeed replace the unit before I finished off my oil change/service on the car. I wasn't attempting to drive it around without it, I'm not as dumb as I look.  B)

Does your car have an oil pressure gauge???

If not.....your oil pump has been swapped........they didn't bother taking out the oild sender and finding a plug.........

they just installed the Oil switch for the light and left the sender sittin there with the remnants of it's wiring from whatever it came from hangin out.

There is nothing wrong......remove that thing and plug the hole with a 5/8ths plug.

No it doesn't have a guage, just the light. I will just leave the sending unit in it for now, its not hurting anything anyway. I was just curious in case it needed to be hooked up to something. Thanks for al the info!

Also, is it bad that the oil pump has been replaced?

no oil gauge, yet you have a sender - lucky , especially if it still gives out a varying Ohm reading - just find a gauge. Other than someone swapping in an oil pump, maybe the whole engine was swapped in from something with a gauge.

I changed mine out on my 93 Loyale after my timing belt broke. It happened just a couple of weeks after I bought it, since I did not know the history go the car and being paranoid.... And I was in there any way. My new oil pump came with both senders, not big deal it just fills the hole. Just leave it in place.

I would plug it.

Those things fail and leak and are vulnerable to rocks offroad.

If you don't need it.......Get rid of it so it doens't break off and strand you or leak all you're oil out slowly either way a plug will be better, less risk.

The wire for it is yellow and comes off the intake harness under th alternator and down the dipstick tube. it has a single spade terminl. you will find it and plug it in. that sender is for a gauge, so it is likely your engine or water pump has been swapped.

The wire for it is yellow and comes off the intake harness under th alternator and down the dipstick tube. it has a single spade terminl. you will find it and plug it in. that sender is for a gauge, so it is likely your engine or water pump has been swapped.

He's got the light.....so the wire is likely already going to the switch.

What does this have to do with a water pump?  You mean oil pump???

Edited by Gloyale

Well I know that the motor hasn't been swapped. The oil pump has probably been swapped. But anyway, until I remember to get a plug, it will stay in place, doing nothing for me.

How do you know????

Are you the first owner or got it from the 1st owner?

I hardly ever see an EA82 that's got it's original motor.  Just curious not arguing.

I bought it from the second owner, who received it from his dead grandmother, who was the first owner. It had 70k miles on it, has 88k now. I have alot of the service history from the PO. The motor shows the signs of being a low mileage motor, and the guy told me everything else about the car, good or bad. So I'm banking on it being an original.

Score, I reckon. The gauge is a lot more useful than the light. The light should have a $ sign on it, cos once it goes on, something major has usually happened.

Try to find yourself a cluster with the oil pressure gauge in it. It should plug straight in if you've already got a cluster with the tacho.

Move the wire from the oil pressure light to the sender instead.

Then find the wire in the dash that goes to the oil pressure light (below the cluster), and extend that to the correct pin on the back of the cluster.

Presto, you now have a working factory oil pressure gauge.

Why that's the Catastrophic Converter!  ( Or the Q-36 Space modulator ) I'd know that anywhere! If you drive without it you can slip into another dimension, where all those other Subarus have disappeared to over the years!