Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help Please. Coolant Temp Sensor location?

Coolant temp sensor ea82 carb

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:01 PM

Ok so I have searched all over the forums and I still can't seem to find this damn sensor. I know the block in my car is from a 92 loyale. However, it has a carburetor from an 87 GL. I found the sender gauge and the sensor in the rad. But I can't find the other one....I see no green connector anywhere. I am at a loss. What does this thing look like? Anyone have a picture?

#2 john in KY

john in KY

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  • KY

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:08 PM

Probably located in the intake coolant crossover on the back side. Sort of a little left of the MC. That's where it was on my turbo model. Real problem is how do you reattach the connecter with the new sensor? You'll see the problem once the sensor is located. I never could get my hand up in there.

#3 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

up by the t stat, one wire connector

#4 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

Subruise, the only sensor near the t-stat on my engine is the temp sender. I'll check on the back. Pardon my naïveté, but what is the MC?

#5 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:54 PM

master cylinder. there are only 2 coolant temp sensing devices on an NA ea82. youve found them both. Since you had already mentioned the one in the rad (the cts) i figured you had mixed up terminology and I pointed you up top.

Lots of the sensors in the rad get a scaly film on them that can be sanded off and return them to functionality....sometimes not. hth 

#6 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:14 PM

So which of the two cause a high idle?

#7 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:37 PM

the one in the rad, or in some cases the wiring related to it. let me guess...its also bogging huh? i had an 88 that drove me nuts with this issue

#8 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:27 PM

Yes exactly

#9 jono

jono

New User

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • Southern Hemisphere - AUS

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

"I know the block in my car is from a 92 loyale. However, it has a carburetor block? from an 87 GL."

I am a little lost - you swapped the engine from a carbed engine, but retained an mpfi or spfi inlet manifold and stuff ?

So, you are looking for what you correctly call a coolant temp sensor - for the efi ECU , I take it?

The spfi one is opposite side to the temp gauge sender unit under the thermostat.

Working on a pic of the mpfi one...bear with me......

DSC05972_zps5ff18757.jpg

yours, if it is mpfi EA82 will be a little more cluttered but you should be able to see the white plastic topped sensor on the manifolds water log coming from the thermostat housing and under the twin air tubes of the inlet manifold. It has no wires connected yet.

Edited by jono, 26 April 2014 - 06:19 PM.

#10 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:43 AM

No, mine is carbed....it has a block that was originally spfi, or mpfi I'm not sure which.

#11 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,518 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

WHOA!!!!!    Hold the bus......

So which of the two cause a high idle?

Neither.....your car is not computer controlled.......No FI temp sensor......Your high idle is a choke, vac, or other carb issue.

the one in the rad, or in some cases the wiring related to it. let me guess...its also bogging huh? i had an 88 that drove me nuts with this issue

The one in the rad is a switch for the fan....that's all.....nothing to do with idle.  88 however is comp. controlled and has a FI temp sensor......theses are the ones with green connector......not relavent to Haight's issue with the old battle wagon.

"I know the block in my car is from a 92 loyale. However, it has a carburetor block? from an 87 GL."

I am a little lost - you swapped the engine from a carbed engine, but retained an mpfi or spfi inlet manifold and stuff ?

DSC05972_zps5ff18757.jpg

This setup was not as common for us as the SPFI......and those blocks are single port and swap in to the Carbed setups..

I believe he has entire carbed intake on SPFI block.

Haight...Check the throttle cable....make sure it's not too tight.......then check the choke.......see if it's staying hung on  the high idle cam/not opening.

If that isn't it.......check for vac leaks around the base of carb and intake w/ starting fluid.  Also......the hitachis can be picky if the Air Bleed hoses are removed or capped......they need to be on there, but restricted a bit with orifice factory setup........Can you post pics of your engine bay????

If all that checks out it's time to open the carb.

#12 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,518 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:14 AM

Since you had already mentioned the one in the rad (the cts)

For clarity.....the one in the radiator is NOT the CTS......or a "sensor" of any kind...

It'a  thermoswitch..........and it turns on the radiator fan.....that's all.

It is a bit confusing because they use VERY similar connectors in later models.......But the Fan switch ones are Blue  and the Temp sensor is green connector and located on the outer edge of the T-stat housing of SPFI intakes........

#13 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

Wow thanks for clarifying that Gloyale. I will try to post pics of the bay later today. I'll check the choke too. No vacuum leaks though.

#14 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,502 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:33 PM

thanks Gloyale...as usual. Haight, sorry for straying you buddy, I guess this is a product of my "keep switching stuff til it works" mentality when it comes to stuff with plugs on it. I can see how I get confused when not paying close enough attention due to the shotgun affect, and the sheer number of gen 3s that roll through here

#15 Haight

Haight

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • Seaside, OR

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:48 PM

No worries haha. Here are those pics Gloyale. Let me know if you need more specific pics.

IMG_0393_zps6929f6cb.jpg

IMG_0384_zps0f10e07e.jpg

IMG_0386_zpsd0ab3557.jpg

IMG_0387_zps9085d5d0.jpg

IMG_0388_zps3b8dfa5a.jpg

IMG_0389_zps40cf98fe.jpg

IMG_0390_zpsb00922a4.jpg

IMG_0391_zps6679da52.jpg

IMG_0392_zps5ede6771.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users