Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Heater core bypass - does this look bad to you?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fishboy

fishboy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Australia

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:32 PM

So I went ahead and bought the auto-transmission L series as per this thread. Just drove it home, started looking it over, and noticed this:

35m2rdx.jpg

As always, the heater core has been bypassed, probably due to leakage (no problem), however the bypass hose has a great big KINK in it. You can see it in the picture. Is this bad?? If I recall correctly, you need the coolant to be flowing freely through an un-kinked bypass hose so the cooling system can do its job...correct?

I'm not sure how long the previous owner has been driving it like this....is it likely to have inflicted much damage?

#2 Scooner

Scooner

New User

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • Cheyenne, Wyoming

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:49 PM

Haha holy crap. Just when you think you've seen it all. Wow. I guess if the car doesn't run hot then it's probably fine as the water pump is still pumping coolant through the motor and radiator.

#3 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,257 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

It's gonna warm up quickly for sure.......

The heater core is the bypass before the T-stat opens......

I would just unkink it.....should be fine....looks like a clean car.

#4 fishboy

fishboy

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Australia

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:40 PM

So the cooling system should have still been able to work and not destroy the engine even with the kink?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users