Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hydraulic lifters

I have the heads off my 91 Loyale engine and was able to remove one lifter. I can't see how they are supposed to work - should they compress, expand or what. Should one be able to induce movement in them at all? see wear?

How do you assess the condition of these things?

hi,

installed in the head,  they do not move,  they just sit and the rocker cam followers compress against them.  they should be solid feeling but the tip is actually a piston that is pumped up by oil pressure. if you cannot compress them by pushing them against a bench top, probably good.  the ones that have some movement by pushing on the tip may be questionable,  or it  may just have bled the oil out of it.  did they click and why are you concerned?  they do not show signs of wear since they don't move any, only the tip is exposed to pressure (valve spring pressure) when  the cam and rocker action  open the valves.  most problems are from lack of proper oil change schedule and they get sticky internally from dirty oil.

Well the engine has 300,000 miles on it and they do make some noise. It was burning oil, which looks to be due to oil leaking into the combustion chamber past the left side head gasket, but as long as I had it apart I thought I would check everything that I can get to.  I was just going to replace them all but seeing how expensive that would be even to just have them all rebuilt, I thought it would be better to evaluate them if possible.

like Subruise said - google "mizpah"   mizpah engineering do exchange reco HVLA for EA82 - was something like $6 each 3 or 4 years ago. Comment on his site from someone felt that more care went into their reco work than new ones churned out of a factory. Depending on how his stocks of EA82 lifters are you may get them as exchange, pay another $1 for no core supplied....he was calling for old ones and was offering a dollar off for each one you sent in

I got a set, and running so nice and quiet, bled up quickly on start up even though though had been sitting in rebuilt engine 3.5 years !