Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Chevy Rotors swap? Saw a brat with it...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 subaruguru

subaruguru

Scammer

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • Yakima Wa,

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:00 AM

At WCSS15 there was a maroon brat with chevy 6 lug rotors on the front. is he on here?  

I will try to find the picture but as far as i can tell he removed the stock rotor and put the chevy "Floater Rotor" over his 6 lug converted Hub then made his own mount for the 1/2 ton brake calipers. It looked beefy and a weekend job i think i want to tackle it on the Bug out rig. 

Cheers. 

#2 subaruguru

subaruguru

Scammer

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • Yakima Wa,

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:20 AM

Said he did the swap 2 years prior to the show i think still the same pads. 

I want to do this all the way around on my rig. 

Cheers R.

#3 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,494 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:57 AM

I think that was Splinter. Not positive though.

#4 TOONGA

TOONGA

I divided by zero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Australind

Posted 28 April 2014 - 06:02 AM

Would love to see more on this...

I did a search but nothing showed up.

TOONGA

#5 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,284 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

Yeah....but then you lose the ability to use the dual E-brake setup as a manual traction control for the front.....

And you got Chevy parts on your subaru......Ick.

#6 subaruguru

subaruguru

Scammer

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • Yakima Wa,

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:56 PM

Gloyal, Dont be such a purest ;-) at least its not (ford) :-P.

I'm not too worried about the duel e brake idea, An open front diff has never been an issue as long as my rear was is welded. 

I think it would be nice to have the stopping power and with larger tires the little brakes tend to get hot if you do a lot of highway driving. Then there is the fact that you would probably never have to change them again lol. 

Cheers R.

#7 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,421 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:07 PM

Chevy stuff would probally work but its ALOT of additional unsprung weight.Toyota brake parts might be better suited.

The stock subaru caliper weighs 7.6 lbs while its rotor weighs 9.19 lbs so 16.79 lbs per side.By contrast a 87 1500 chevy caliper weighs 9.95 lbs but the rotor comes in at a massive 19.18 lbs so 29.13 lbs per side.finally 87 ifs toyota caliper is 10.65 lbs(2 piston design vs the 1 piston of subaru and chevy) while the rotor weighs 13.89 lbs totaling 24.54 lbs per side.

So the weight difference between toyota and chevy stuff isn't that big compared to each other both are still almost twice the weight of the stock stuff.I would put money on the toyota brakes with the two piston caliper stopping better of all three combos,but if you like to ride your brakes like an old lady the chevy stuff would probally work better due to the sheer mass of its rotor would be better to deal with immense heat.

toyota has a better caliper that offers more clamping force but chevy has a better rotor that would better resist the heat generated for long continous braking.

better still the brakes off a 4wd nissan D21/pathfinder would be best because the caliper weighs close to stock(dual piston) and the rotor is 16 lbs so you get the better clamping pressure with more heat capacity.

Edited by Uberoo, 28 April 2014 - 02:11 PM.

#8 subaruguru

subaruguru

Scammer

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • Yakima Wa,

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

Well that gets the ball rolling weight was my concern as i want to do it on all 4 corners as i still want this rig to be somewhat light weight but we will see. I like the idea of duel piston hmmm the options i think i need to make a trip the the junk yard to research. 

Cheers R.

#9 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,284 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:27 PM

I'm not too worried about the duel e brake idea, An open front diff has never been an issue as long as my rear was is welded. 

You don't know what your missing......there are situations where my Dual E-brakes have saved my arse......with a welded rear....it helps that much more.

You aren't gonna need to worry about stopping power....that thing will be so light weight just get rear discs....golden.

#10 turbosubarubrat

turbosubarubrat

2nd gen hoarder

• Members
  • 1,108 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:59 PM

http://www.ultimates...ter#entry893664.

#11 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,996 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

Chevy stuff would probally work but its ALOT of additional unsprung weight.Toyota brake parts might be better suited.

The stock subaru caliper weighs 7.6 lbs while its rotor weighs 9.19 lbs so 16.79 lbs per side.By contrast a 87 1500 chevy caliper weighs 9.95 lbs but the rotor comes in at a massive 19.18 lbs so 29.13 lbs per side.finally 87 ifs toyota caliper is 10.65 lbs(2 piston design vs the 1 piston of subaru and chevy) while the rotor weighs 13.89 lbs totaling 24.54 lbs per side.

So the weight difference between toyota and chevy stuff isn't that big compared to each other both are still almost twice the weight of the stock stuff.I would put money on the toyota brakes with the two piston caliper stopping better of all three combos,but if you like to ride your brakes like an old lady the chevy stuff would probally work better due to the sheer mass of its rotor would be better to deal with immense heat.

toyota has a better caliper that offers more clamping force but chevy has a better rotor that would better resist the heat generated for long continous braking.

better still the brakes off a 4wd nissan D21/pathfinder would be best because the caliper weighs close to stock(dual piston) and the rotor is 16 lbs so you get the better clamping pressure with more heat capacity.

Correction. 87 Toyota front calipers would be 4 pots....not 2. Also, the toyota rotors bolt on behind the hub, instead of sliding over the studs. That would complicate the install considerably.

#12 Steve W.

Steve W.

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Santa Fe

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

Go XT6, much easier and you'd still have you'r driving brakes up front, and disks in the rear. Much better wheel selection two. I love mine. S.

#13 subaruguru

subaruguru

Scammer

• Members
  • 1,642 posts
  • Yakima Wa,

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:04 PM

Been there done that lol 6 lug stuff is far more plentiful than XT6 stuff and i already have rear disks ;-). No need for fancy off road wheels either lol. 

Cheers R.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users