Finally started on the engine removal of my EJ22 so I could get at the oil separator plate replacement. I'm knocking on wood as I write that I didn't have any sheared bolts yesterday, which is always a pleasant surprise.
For my maiden voyage, I spent about five hours marking, undoing electrical connections and getting everything undone. The engine is unbolted and ready to lift. My last three hours were in the dark (I don't have a garage, so I'm in my cul-de-sac) and when I went to get the cherry picker set up I realized that there was only a chain, and no quick links or shackles to attach to the lift points. I figured that was a good time to pack up for the night.
Those lower engine nuts near the drive shafts were a bit of a bear to get. The passenger side is tight and I had a hard time getting the correct combo to get in there (3/8 wrench with short 14 mm socket was not long enough to clear obstacles, 1/2 with adapter and 14 mm was too long and hit axle cup, 3/8 with deep 14 mm was also too long). Finally was able to crack it using a standard socket so I could get a swivel on it with a 14 and a long extension.
The biggest surprises were (1) the number of acorns sitting on top of the block under the intake manifold next to the coolant crossover pipe and (2) how little gas came out of the fuel lines when I disconnected those. (The Beer Garage description had me ready to catch a lot more.)
Rain predicted for the next few days so the lift will likely have to wait until the weekend. Then I can replace/reseal the plate and a bunch of other o-rings and seals and tighten up the oil pump screws.