Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yep, or even WRX struts depending on how low you want to go. 

You can likely sell your original struts to someone who wants to lift their Legacy, too. 

One thing to be aware of is that the Outback has about an inch of body lift (as in engine/tranny/diff are an inch lower, compared to the body, than they'd be in a Legacy). Therefore, your ground clearance will be a bit less. 

As for why, especially with the WRX struts it'll handle better on pavement. I seem to recall the Outback having bigger swaybars too, so it should handle better than a Legacy. Or, he just likes the look better. It's his car, he can do what he wants to it and I'll only call him on it if there's a safety issue. 

Yep, or even WRX struts depending on how low you want to go. 

You can likely sell your original struts to someone who wants to lift their Legacy, too. 

One thing to be aware of is that the Outback has about an inch of body lift (as in engine/tranny/diff are an inch lower, compared to the body, than they'd be in a Legacy). Therefore, your ground clearance will be a bit less. 

As for why, especially with the WRX struts it'll handle better on pavement. I seem to recall the Outback having bigger swaybars too, so it should handle better than a Legacy. Or, he just likes the look better. It's his car, he can do what he wants to it and I'll only call him on it if there's a safety issue. 

98 OBW comes with standard 205 X 70 X15" size tire/wheels. Lowering the car may create problems of tires rubbing on lowered suspension parts. Ordinary Legacy wagons are lower then Outbacks of that era. They came with smaller narrower tires, and perhaps on 14" wheels. It would be a whole lot less work to sell the 98 OBW, and replace it with a Legacy wagon, if a lowered car is the objective. Also, I have heard the Legacy does handle better then an Outback, because of its lower center of gravity.

This has been done many times. And yes, 02-07 wrx struts will bolt in as well, that's why I said ANY 02-07 impreza. And obviously you'll need to put smaller tires on so they don't rub, but I'm assuming someone who is lowering a car, has a set of wheels they want to run as well.