Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Overheating problem

Ok, so I replaced my rad hoses and my heater hoses. And when I idle for too long, my car will start to overheat. But when i start driving for a little while my temprature goes right back to normal. And just to let you all know, my heater doesnt work, i still need to buy a new motor. But I would like to hear some ideas on what people think or what i should do.

Sounds like the electric fan is not kicking in; if not, check the fan and/or the temp switch on the radiator. If the fan kicks on when it gets warm, I would suggest a replacement thermostat and if that doesn't help a new radiator. I haven't seen too much success with back flushing the cooling system; the $40 or $50 you'll spend on that is better spent on a new radiator. We're assuming of course that you have sufficient coolent in the system.

ya know, my 88 has been having a similar problem, it has no a/c so it has a single electric fan. my rx has the engine mount fan and an electric because of the a/c. i've been thinking about getting a second one for the wagon too, though the thermostat could be the cuplrit partially as well. how hot is it getting anyway? does it get to redline or just too close for comfort?

yeah, pop the hood and let it idle, and see if the fan kicks in. If it does not, check the temperature switch in the radiator for continuity (pull the 2 pin plug off of it, and jumper the harness side of it with a paperclip, if the fan comes on, replace the switch, if it does not, check to make sure that the fan has power, and the grounds are good, etc..)

A properly tuned EA81 is *nearly* impossible to overheat. If you have oil, OR coolant, you'll be fine regardless of what the guage reads. They are as much oil cooled as water cooled. Check your fan tho - sounds like the thermoswitch is either junk, or the connections are corroded.

GD