Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Overheating problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 redrum3433

redrum3433

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Puyallup

Posted 05 May 2004 - 06:34 PM

Ok, so I replaced my rad hoses and my heater hoses. And when I idle for too long, my car will start to overheat. But when i start driving for a little while my temprature goes right back to normal. And just to let you all know, my heater doesnt work, i still need to buy a new motor. But I would like to hear some ideas on what people think or what i should do.

#2 edrach

edrach

RIP 6/28/14

• Members
  • 12,326 posts
  • Bothell, WA

Posted 05 May 2004 - 07:51 PM

Sounds like the electric fan is not kicking in; if not, check the fan and/or the temp switch on the radiator. If the fan kicks on when it gets warm, I would suggest a replacement thermostat and if that doesn't help a new radiator. I haven't seen too much success with back flushing the cooling system; the $40 or $50 you'll spend on that is better spent on a new radiator. We're assuming of course that you have sufficient coolent in the system.

#3 suba

suba

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • moscow, ID

Posted 05 May 2004 - 07:59 PM

ya know, my 88 has been having a similar problem, it has no a/c so it has a single electric fan. my rx has the engine mount fan and an electric because of the a/c. i've been thinking about getting a second one for the wagon too, though the thermostat could be the cuplrit partially as well. how hot is it getting anyway? does it get to redline or just too close for comfort?

#4 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 06 May 2004 - 03:34 AM

yeah, pop the hood and let it idle, and see if the fan kicks in. If it does not, check the temperature switch in the radiator for continuity (pull the 2 pin plug off of it, and jumper the harness side of it with a paperclip, if the fan comes on, replace the switch, if it does not, check to make sure that the fan has power, and the grounds are good, etc..)

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 06 May 2004 - 03:45 AM

A properly tuned EA81 is *nearly* impossible to overheat. If you have oil, OR coolant, you'll be fine regardless of what the guage reads. They are as much oil cooled as water cooled. Check your fan tho - sounds like the thermoswitch is either junk, or the connections are corroded.

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users