Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I had some comments recently about using forester or OB struts to raise this car....I despise it being so low

Someone said strut assy's from 96-99 OB would fit....and 98-2002 foresters

someone also said that 03 to 08 foresters would fit too

here is what I found from an online dealer parts site

the 96-98 OB calls for Subaru SOA20311AC200

the 99 OB ........a20311AC220

Forester calls for

98-2000 SOA 20310FC020

2001-02   20310FC040
03-05  20310SA009L  OR....20310SA0419L....depending on V.I.N.

2006  20310SA1009L

2007-08   20310SA189L

Lots of different PNs if they will all fit my 95 legacy...?
I want to look for a decent set (front and back) but why are there so many PN's if they are all interchangeable with my plain legacy??

I don't want to get parts that don't fit

thanks

PS.....is Nipper still around???

All the years you listed will work for a suspension lift for a 95 legacy. 2000-2004 Outback fronts will work as well but not the rears. Forester stuff will give you just a little more space than outback but they are all pretty much the same.

The off-road section of the forum has a sticky about "how to lift your impreza" - everything true of an impreza lift will be true of your legacy except you probably don't have to worry about drilling a hole for the rear strut tops. The outback trailing arm brackets are also less necessary for a legacy lift.

Put a set in, get some bigger tires and enjoy the ground clearance!

Look into king spring for which ever struts you do end up useing. Huge diffrence from oem

Also 98-02 forester struts are taller than 03+. They went smaller strut in 03 and compensated with 1" larger tire to make up the diffrence. I'd go with 98-02 personaly. Run wheel spacer to allow larger tires

Prwa

Edited by Prwa101

PS.....is Nipper still around???

always!!!!

subaru is all about ''same year group use the same parts''.

and ''share the engineering between models''.

this save them a boat load of money.

now in recent years i think they have softened on both of these principals , but im bot sure.

i only know 90 - 04 subarus.

and then mostly leagacy.

depending on your goal,

outback struts 96 - 99 will fit your 95 legacy with NO problems.

i think the 99s have a different part number,

because they move the brake fluid hose bracket,

or something minor like that.

i do not know forester details.

but if knowledgeable folks here say 98 - 0? will work,

that is good enough for me.

i have not read all of the info in this link,

but i think the source is reliable,

if not perfect.

most folks on that site are more interested in lowering, not lifting.

EDIT, link added:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/official-suspension-faq-swaybars-struts-springs-coilovers-alignment-171914.html

and i have already lifted both of my legos, 97 (EXACT same chassis)

and 00 (same part / engineering sharing principal),  with outback struts.

so i do not need to know more at this point in time.

and i do remember reading here, on this site,

that outback rear struts are taller than forester struts.

but i do not really know.

and it is entirely possible that the 03 - 04 forester struts are taller than 98,

but again, i do not know.

Edited by johnceggleston

All different part numbers because the struts are all just slightly different.

Legacy, Out back, Forester have different spring perch heights, slightly different valve rates, and across those years will have different brake line mounts.

Lots of small variances, so they all have different part numbers.

Best strut for bigger tires is the Outback. 96-99. These are quick and simple swap (as simple as can get for a sedan). Good lift and best tire clearance without having to mix and match strut, spring, top-hat.

Forester rear springs are taller but have a lower spring rate. If you have a sedan and dont have a ton of stuff in the trunk all the time these work well. But the spring perches on forester struts are closer to the wheel, so not as much room for tires.

Look into king spring for which ever struts you do end up useing. Huge diffrence from oem

Also 98-02 forester struts are taller than 03+. They went smaller strut in 03 and compensated with 1" larger tire to make up the diffrence. I'd go with 98-02 personaly. Run wheel spacer to allow larger tires

Prwa

Hmm, I hadn't heard that the earlier ones were taller before. It seems that on other forums I mostly see suggestions for 03-08 Forester stuff for lifting my 99 Legacy Outback. 

All different part numbers because the struts are all just slightly different.

Legacy, Out back, Forester have different spring perch heights, slightly different valve rates, and across those years will have different brake line mounts.

Lots of small variances, so they all have different part numbers.

Best strut for bigger tires is the Outback. 96-99. These are quick and simple swap (as simple as can get for a sedan). Good lift and best tire clearance without having to mix and match strut, spring, top-hat.

Forester rear springs are taller but have a lower spring rate. If you have a sedan and dont have a ton of stuff in the trunk all the time these work well. But the spring perches on forester struts are closer to the wheel, so not as much room for tires.

Is that true for both 98-02 and 03-08 Foresters? I'm hoping I don't go too soft when I swap suspension.

Hmm, I hadn't heard that the earlier ones were taller before. It seems that on other forums I mostly see suggestions for 03-08 Forester stuff for lifting my 99 Legacy Outback. 

Is that true for both 98-02 and 03-08 Foresters? I'm hoping I don't go too soft when I swap suspension.

No. Take a ride in an Outback and a Forester, or better yet, someone that has done the swap in a car, meaning a Outback strut swap into a Legacy, and a Forester strut swap into a Legacy. Thev one with the Forester strut assemblies will ride slightly stiffer and handle a bit better. I've done this several times now. The only difference between the 98-02 Forester struts and the 03-08, is that the rear on the 98-02 has a lower spring perch, and the 03-08 is higher so a bigger tire can be cleared.

98 Forester struts are a straight across swap to a 95 Legacy - I cant personally speak to any other years as I havent done it, but would take the advice of those here that have.

9095sidebysidecopy.jpg

stock 90 Legacy on left, lifted 95 on right with the Forester struts - nearly 2 inches in height difference with stock size tires (185/70R14). Before the swap the 95 sat slightly lower than the 90 due to worn out struts & broken springs.

Sf 98-02 1" taller than sg, which gives you More exstention. But limited to I think 215/70/15.

sg 03-08.

1" smaller less exstention but was simple sated with an inch larger tire. 215/70/16.

The only reason why people suggest the 03-08 struts is because you can clear a larger tire with put wheel spacers.

And if this wasn't true whoch it is thay would male the 03-08 foresters taller than 98-02 forester. Which there not. I have a 2000 forester and 2 04 forester xts and they were the same highth before I lifted my 00.

I'm running sf struts, king springs, and 1" spacer and I have 11.25" clearance under front and rear diff on my forester.

Read up, only reason why it sits taller in this thread is because his struts and spring were shot

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/sf-struts-vs-sg-struts-26131/

I put 98 springs on my 04 struts and the rear sat up even higher. The spring was compressed into a smaller area because of the higher spring perch. I've done all the reading. I mostly go off of all the cars I've lifted, whether they are mine, or my friends.

ok guys...been trying to follow this but

What is "SG" and "SF" mean???

FOr my 95 legacy...which seems to be a little lower in the back (not level when looking from the side).....I would

like the most lift in front and in back that's possible

Does this mean 98-00 forester fronts and 03-08 foresters in rear?

not sure if I got it right

I want to put 15" wheels on it when done

thanks

SF is 98-02, SG is 03-08. Both forester.

The only reason to run 03-08 forester struts is if you want to run an inch larger tire than SF. But you lose an inch of strut travel with the SG strut!  If you planning on running near stock or less than 27.5" SF is the way to go. also the taller you go in tire the more itll kill your mileage. 

Personally, running SF in the front and SG in the rear dosnt sound right. SF are 1" taller than the SG, thus lowering your rear 1". even if you put king springs on them the SG, the strut piston will only extend so far, still not being level with the front.  

If thats the case SF forester struts will give you the most lift, and the most strut travel. 

The rear of the car sits lower because the springs are worn out.

New springs and Outback struts will make it even front & rear, but it will only be a 1" gain.

You gain another inch with stock Outback size tires 205/70/15. You can fit 215/75/15 with Outback struts. Possibly larger depending on tread design.

so ...for my 95 legacy.....use 98-02 forester struts...and will this allow me to upgrade to 15" wheels?...maybe 205 or 215/70/15?

I don't want to buy wheel spacers...they aint cheap

I really would love new struts and springs but that a lot of bucks

How much are cheap springs

And can someone tell me where Nipper is???

Yeah you'll be able to run 15" tires. And yes 215/70/15 will work great. 215/75/15 will fit with a little rubbing.

You can get new struts for 240 on amazon and king spring are around 430. Not sure about normal ones are, prolly could find a set on forester.org If I was you I'd save up a little more. You won't regret it, best upgrade I've ever done suspension wise.

As has been said, 98-08 forester struts will work. And you could even use 16" wheels. And if you use 03-08 forester rear struts you could fit up to a 215 70 16 tire.

And why do you want to know where Nipper is? He's still on here. Search his name.

Is that all you can fit? I just picked up some 04 FXT struts ($75 locally, they seem to be in good shape) and was hoping I'd manage to fit a 215/75R15 or 225/75R15, depending on what I find for the right price. 

The rear struts limit tire size. The lower spring perch gets In the way. Of course there's always ways around that. Different wheels, a friend of mine even took a hammer to the spring perches to gain one clearance. Chances are, without much trimming or bashing, there'll be more than the rear spring perches that get in the way of tires that are re too big.