Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Brat ea82 turbo bastard project

so I acquired this bastard contraption

XT suspension

ea82 turbo engine

megasquirt controller

it was owned by a professor at Appalachian state university in boone NC before he died. It was given to a former student, went through 2 more students hands and nothing was done to it now I am here to finish it.

It has an ultimate Subaru sticker on the back glass, I am hoping I am lucky enough someone remembers the brat.

on with the pics, it should be in my shop in a week or 2 and it shall begin

post-53159-0-53928400-1398819872_thumb.jpg

post-53159-0-81544000-1398819877_thumb.jpg

post-53159-0-43437400-1398819883_thumb.jpg

post-53159-0-55636200-1398819888_thumb.jpg

Edited by cookiemonster131
  • Like 5

I am normally one of the first to be appalled at a bastardized Brat, especially if it got an EA82T (shudder), but it looks like that one was done right and it looks hella cool like that. There is enough motorhead experience here that we can help you get it going in tip top fashion. I'm sure you're busy, but at some point, I (and I'm sure several others) would like to see pics of how the suspension and 5 lug were accomplished including pics of the axles since as I understand it, they have to be hybrid to work with the 5 lug stuff. If the person who did that is still around, I hope they'll chime in. Great find!

• Like 2

yeah I will get pics of the suspension when I can guys. it is not in my shop yet and will not be for a few weeks. the guys on chopcult who posted it are the ones who originally got it from the dead professor. I picked it up from Hugh's shop to bring it to Salisbury to a friends house. I then got it from said friend.

I am a mechanic by trade so I hope I can get this back to its glory and then get it painted and done :-)

it also comes with 2 truck loads of parts if anyone is looking for stock brat parts

• Like 1

I don' know what the mpfi manifold for an ea82 looks like but that is not an ea82 turbo intake manifold. Also, what did they do with the disty?

It's a "Spider" manifold.

Looks like replaced the dizzy with an electronic version.

And that thing looks so wicked. Even more wicked with an EJ20T...

tho it prob weighs almost nothing.

I wonder if Loyale lower control arms have been fitted. No reason for the wheels to be that far out to fill the flares (apart from looks). Spacers put on the rear to compensate

This is Garner's old Brat, he passed away a few years back. Then another guy bought and posted frequently here for a while about getting it running, progress etc, then he dropped off the map about a year ago.

Now here it is again.

Hope you have better luck.

Unfortunately, the old site lost the photo album.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/13101-ea82t-in-gen-1-brat-its-in-there/?hl=garner

Holy crap. Salisbury?!!!

I'm in concord!
Hit up higgins automotive for spare parts. I don't know that brat in particular but know enough to identify what's been done. Looks pretty well sorted at the moment.

Let me know if you ever need a hand. I actually will be up that way Saturday saving an AE86.

thank you turbine for the link!

I know the history all the way back to Garner and I plan to get this BRAT back on the road. I own a car restoration company so I am capable but I am new to Subaru so I may need some assistance here and there.

Rpholz I will be in touch I am sure. I have know Jimmie Higgins for 12 years now, he actually taught me how to work on 20r and 22r Toyota motors. I have always wanted a BRAT because of Jimmie just never found the right one until now.

Thanks guys for all the help and kind words.

I appreciate everyone pitching in to give me info from your eyeball Subaru knowledge. This is going to be a fun project!

Oh cool! Yea Jimmie is an awsome individual.

I had talked about doing some work for him in trade for a brat but he didn't want to let one go. Although he is still trying to have me come work for him.

This is an inspiration, It might be common knowledge here, but I was wondering about being able to put a turbo into an older Brat.

- But I am conflicted, because a fuel-injected engine is not as robust and reliable as carbureted, and not sure if its possible to put turbo onto a carbureted Subaru engine with Subaru parts...

- Is it?

This is an inspiration, It might be common knowledge here, but I was wondering about being able to put a turbo into an older Brat.

- But I am conflicted, because a fuel-injected engine is not as robust and reliable as carbureted, and not sure if its possible to put turbo onto a carbureted Subaru engine with Subaru parts...

- Is it?

Carbed subaru engines are weaker and less reliable than FI. 

Don't know why you keep insisting otherwise........you can have it as opinion but things like HP and service intervals are fact....no disputable.

There is a way to turbo a subaru........they did it already.....if Carbed turbos were so great and relaible they would make them but no one does. 

You need the management capabilities of FI to effectively make good, daily driveable power from a turbo engine an d keep reliability.

• Like 1