Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Found my EJ Donor Car, I think..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ystrdyisgone

ystrdyisgone

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • MT

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:49 PM

Hello everyone,

The time has finally come, I found a 90 legacy with around 170K on the engine for a pretty good deal. I'm going to check it out this afternoon. I don't know exactly what's wrong with it. The owner said the engine still runs fine, but there's something messed up with the transmission. It's a 5 speed, and apparently it "doesn't work?" Like I said I'll be checking it out, and will know more later, but I'm curious if there is a common failure point on those trannys that may be able to be jerry rigged just so I can limp it home. I don't have access to anything to tow it, and apparently there's no title, so I'm not sure I can get it towed without proof of ownership. Any thoughts would be great! 

Thanks!

#2 ystrdyisgone

ystrdyisgone

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • MT

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:55 PM

Another thought.. Back when my clutch cable broke in my 87 GL I towed it 6 miles home with my wife driving(steering) it, engine running and tranny not in gear. Not sure if this is advisable or not, didn't cause any damage that I'm aware of. Could I do the same sort of thing with this legacy? The tow would be about 8 miles.

#3 Subruise

Subruise

Official Party Pooper

• Members
  • 1,413 posts
  • pierce county

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:44 PM

flat tow and youll be fine

#4 ystrdyisgone

ystrdyisgone

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • MT

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

Thank you sir, I knew there had to be a term for what I was talking about. Flat tow it I shall!

#5 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,228 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 30 April 2014 - 04:58 PM

with the manual trans in neutral,

and all 4 tires on the ground,

you can tow the the car as far as you want.

but i would suggest that your wife drive and you steer the towed car.

if she fails to brake and wrecks your new car you may be upset.

if you do it on the other hand ..... it's just a car.

Edited by johnceggleston, 30 April 2014 - 04:59 PM.

#6 ystrdyisgone

ystrdyisgone

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • MT

Posted 30 April 2014 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, fortunately my wife is much more competent than most.

Got it home safe!

Here it is! 167K on the clock

200 bucks! It runs and drives, just needed a jump. Transmission shifts very nicely, but the engine leaks mucho oil, so we towed it just to be safe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users