Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 what is this engine component?

Yes there is an oring on the bottom of the tank to pump connection. It's a Subaru part.  If it's leaking there are rebuild kits for the complete pump.  Search the USMB. 

+1...the subaru rebuild kits are awesome.  cost ~$50

takes about 30 mins

But the Oil pressure switch leak is common too....and arguably a more major issue.

the oil pressure switch leak is far more detrimental to the life of your Subaru than a power steering leak is.

Like I said earlier - mine was pumping enough oil out to go thru a quart in under 50 miles - and this came about rather quickly, it wasnt a gradual increase.

Ohh I see. Yeah mine would visibly increase in oil leakage with increase of rpms. I replaced it today, 10 bucks. I'm not really seeing any signs of a PS leak. I'll be degreasing the engine tomorrow, and will be on the lookout for problem areas.

Would anyone be so kind as to suggest common problem areas on these phase 1 ej22s? I'll be doing some research as well, but I'd like to get it running tip top as soon as possible.

Note: There was very audible ticking of the lifters with the leaky Oil pressure switch installed, with the new one installed it purrs. :)

Problem areas: (oil leaks)

Cam plug o-ring on rear of passenger head

Cam support o-ring on front of drivers head (same part number for both of these)

Valve cover gaskets

Oil fill tube o-ring

Separator plate

Rear access cover o-ring

Camshaft and crankshaft seals

Oil pump O-ring

Oil pressure switch

You got one down...

Damn, well thanks for the list fairtax, I've got some work cut out for me!

I've heard about the separator plate.. is that only available from Subaru or can you get the steel plate and screws from other sources?

Looks like I can just do all that when the engine is pulled out for the swap.

Is there anything other than leaks I should look into while it's still running in the donor car?

Gloyale, could you explain what you mean about "a more major issue"? Like there's more to it than just the switch leak?

It's pressurized oil straigh out the gallery........They can go from bad to worse quickly......and you lose alot of oil and some pressure out to the end of the block.  A few hundred miles and you can be low enough on oil to kill the engine....

By contrast, the Power steering leak only affects the power steering pump, not the engine.

In addition, as the thread starter said the valves quieted down when he stopped the leak. That indicates to me that the oil pressure was lower with the leak than without, which can certainly accelerate wear.

There is an aftermarket source for the separator plate now. I think Rockauto carries it? I'm not sure if anyone here has used one. I just spend the $35 for the dealer kit with the bolts.

Bolts, the dealer will sell you special Allen head flange screws, but they use a very common metric thread. Either M5 or M6 I don't recall off the top of my head. You can get the right thread in about a 0.8-1.0cm length with a regular hex head. The top bolt that the arrow points to needs thread sealer.

Oil separator plate - depends on what type you have on whether or not you need to actually buy a replacement

Metal just needs to be resealed. Plastic ones definitely need to be replaced, along with new screws. The early cast alloy ones are the best if you can get your hands on one, but the later stamped steel ones work well, too. (it is not RockAuto that has the aftermarket one - it is PartsGeek.com)

My 95 had a plastic one, I salvaged a cast alloy one (with screws) from a 91 block I had and it fit perfectly.

The valve cover gaskets are a very common leak source - they are a rubber seal that gets hard with age/heat. Replacements can be had fairly cheaply from Rockauto.com. I got a set for my 95 for under $30, including both gaskets & new grommets for the bolts.

Only accessable with motor & tranny separated:

Oil separator plate
Rear access cover o-ring

Should be addressed while doing a timing job:

Camshaft and crankshaft seals
Oil pump O-ring

Cam support o-ring on front of drivers head

Can be addressed at any time:

Valve cover gaskets & grommets
Oil fill tube o-ring
Oil pressure switch

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cam support o-ring on front of drivers head

I'm getting my cart all ready to go on rockauto, but can't seem to find these ^^ things. Anyone know what else they are called?

On RockAuto I see those o-rings as part of a couple of the camshaft seal kits (cam seal and o-ring together) but I don't see the o-ring by itself.  The Subaru p/n is 806946030 (seen here in the beergarage photos/repair info and described in this USMB thread).