Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My motor is officially dead. Ideas?

Ah! Throw some dirt in the carb, gas, and oil and go racing, the dirt will plug up whatever it is and the engine will fix itself! lol...

Yes, I'm kidding, but I actually did have a Subaru with a between-cylinder gap that could not be fixed three times, that actually fixed itself on the road, no kidding.

Otherwise, think creatively... I had the thought once of stripping the engine down to the basics, taking all the plastic and hoses and anything that is not metal off, and then sinking it half-way into something for a concrete mold on an angle, using colored concrete or other cement mix, and pressing some kind of skeletal or fossil shapes into it so that I could make it look just like a fossil. It might make an interesting piece of art for somewhere...

At worst, you could rig up a pully type cherry picker, and use this engine as near-equal weight to make it easy to lift a good engine out of a similar vehicle.

ive seen exactly one ea82 with cylinder wall damage. and that was very recently. granted, ive only torn down around 10 of those but ive been sure id find damage a few times and was surprised at how well these hold up.

You know what Radio Flyer? I have been joking, but I will not presume that you do not know just what you are doing. Nobody is there to see for themselves but you and your friends and a mechanic, but I also know that the others posting here have a similar sentiment to mine, that thes Subarus, especially the older ones are suprising in what they can take, and how hard they are to kill, so on a serious note, I would suggest checking a couple things by eye personally before writing it off, it might even be worth taking a Head off (depending on model, don't remember yours right now), if there is damage, endeavor to see the actual damage itself with your own eyes, or get a second opinion at least, if not a third. We are talking about something valuable here, worth being sure about. Maybe s it just a PCV or a bad gasket or something, maybe its something that can be repaired once you know for certain exactly what it is. Don't give up yet...

Engineandtransmissionworld.com has rebuilt ea-81's. I just got a quote last week. $1065 with a 3 year parts and labor warranty. I know it seems like a lot but But it should run forever

That does seem high, but I'm guessing that these engines are no longer being made, thus the high price, but it sounds like it would be a good engine.

- Free shipping? That's the difference I guess. If it was not going to be shipped, pick-up at location, then it might be quite a bit less...

- They will consider all reasonable offers ?!?!?

Located in Cudahy, WI

UH OH!.... Better Business Bureau rating of "F" on scale of A to F - that's not good!....

Reasons for rating:

289 complaints filed against business

Failure to respond to 5 complaints filed against business

71 complaints filed against business that were not resolved

5 serious complaints filed against business

Overall complaint history with BBB

Advertising issue(s) found by BBB

Business has failed to resolve underlying cause(s) of a pattern of complaints;

Complaints concern delay in shipment and delivery of goods, refund/exchange issues,

advertising/selling practice issues and product quality issues.

On November 22, 2010, BBB was informed by the company that Engine and

Transmission World will be re-organizing their customer service department,

and will take further steps to have consumers acknowledge the company's terms and conditions.

(( Oh yeah, that's right, blame it on the customers, you BS'ing lowlives ))

As of April 2011, the company had not eliminated the underlying cause of the pattern of complaints.

BBB continues to receive complaints alleging the above issues.

Now THAT's a full plate of BAD BAD BAD !!!

- But good effort, Borstsubaru82gl  Nonetheless. A good source for engines would be a very good thing, but maybe not from these guys...

Edited by Subaruist

Wow I never looked in to it that much once I saw the price tag I figured I would rather re build the original engine for 1/4 the cost.

Wow I never looked in to it that much once I saw the price tag I figured I would rather re build the original engine for 1/4 the cost.

- Does this qualify as repeating yourself ??? lol....