Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My clutch went out! BUT no sound or feeling when engine running and engaged. What gives? Shouldn't there be something.

So my clutch gave out on Monday, it was started to slip a lot and finally it gave nothing. My car was pushed into a local lot.

The thing is, if I start it up and engage the clutch, it's as if it's NOT there. There is no sound or feeling, yet the pedal has the same tension as normal.

What could be the problem?

If the clutch plate had been worn down completely,

(not out of the question as I mistook clutch slippage as a weak old engine for quite sometime now)

would it still be there to have some contact.

I don't think the clutch plate is stuck back, no abnormal jerks or feeling.

And it could not have burst, it just progressed into massive slippage, then nothing.

Please help!

Thank you in advance for any advice or comments,

-Sam

Edited by SnatchedHatch

Have you checked to make sure one of your front hubs isn't stripped out? It's worth checking out considering the weird clutch failure.

Set your parking brake, start you car, put the tranny in first gear and let the clutch pedal out. Then get out and see if your front axle nut is turning either side. If so, you have a stripped hub.

Edited by markjw

Have you checked to make sure one of your front hubs isn't stripped out? It's worth checking out considering the weird clutch failure.

Set your parking brake, start you car, put the tranny in first gear and let the clutch pedal out. Then get out and see if your front axle nut is turning either side. If so, you have a stripped hub.

The idea of a stripped hub of some sort was floated, I'll definitely take a look at the shafts.

Thanks

Edited by SnatchedHatch

No friction material left.  Pressure plate works which is why pedal feels normal but there is nothing for it to grab.

Sounds normal for a burned up clutch.

I figured it was completely used up, but wouldn't there be contact still?

Would the flywheel not be gouged as it cannot reach that far?

Is it common for an extremely worn clutch to make no contact whatsoever?

Yes.

The pressure plate is setup to have a distance, x, between it's face and the Flywheel when it's completely "clamped" 

The friction disc has a thickness of  X +  ~.10 ~ .20" so that it takes up all the space between the Fly and PP and gets gripped between them.

When the friction material wears to a thickness of  Less Than X then you get nothing......disc is sitting in dead space between the Fly and PP.

• Like 2

you could try loosening your cable some before digging into clutch replacement, bought a legy with a

'' worn out clutch" loosend the cable alot and drove it home and  another 30k then replaced the clutch:)

Hmm, I'll pass that message over to the buyer of my hatch :) (mechanic's special, not fooling anyone with a car that can't drive)

• 1 month later...