Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I leased a 2014 Subaru Legacy a couple months ago. I have used the brake a few times, including last night. This morning, I started it and pulled to disengage the brake. It wouldn't disengage and the car won't move. I don't know what to do; I can't be without a car, even for one day. Please advise.

You're talking about the parking brake? Has a little "P" symbol?

I'm not sure exactly how those work on the Subarus. The ones I'm familiar with will release in two ways.

Either push/pull the button.

Often they will release if you put the car in drive, take your foot off the brake, and lightly press the gas pedal.

If you have space around the car try pressing the gas a little harder and see if it will pop loose. Sometimes with wet weather the brakes will rust a little and get stuck. With enough power from the engine the car will power through the brake and pop loose. The car will jerk forward when it releases, so if you dont have plenty of space in front of the car DO NOT try this.

Doing the same thing in reverse will also work, but again, make sure you have plenty of space.

That said, a 2014 with only a few thousand miles is still under warranty. If the method above does not work, or you're not comfortable with trying it, call your dealer and have it towed in for repair.

Since it's a brand new car, don't you still have raodside assistance from subaru? I'm pretty sure my mom got that for a year or something as a standard package when she bought her '14 XV.

Just call 'em up and say it broke, and they'll bring you a loaner.

Edited by 987687

if the Owner's Manual instructions or the above ideas don't work, check elsewhere in the manual for the emergency technique for releasing the brake. There's a tool involved and you insert it somewhere designated in the manual and turn it 314 times or w'ever. to physically release it.

I wouldn't do the above technique if I had a warranty and was not experiencing an emergency. So, call the dealer to come swap a loaner to you is likely the best advice.

The 2010+ emergency brake will only disengage two ways:

#1. Driver's seat belt must be buckled (then pull the e-break button outward or GENTLY tap the gas WHILE IN GEAR to release)

#2. Push the brakes firmly while pulling the e-brake release.

If these don't work then something else must be wrong.

Edited by Suzam

danbeane,

Foot on the brake, seat belt buckled up, and pull the brake release out.

If that doesn't get you moving, get out the owner's manual and the 18 inch rod  and screw driver handle from under the rear floor in the cargo area. Following the diagrams in the manual, insert the tool rod into the appropriate socket in front of the rear passenger wheel, after removing the rubber cap, and turn the handle the required 200 to 250 times as instructed in the manual.

After all, its an emergency brake release backup system. Then get to the dealership when you can and get the system corrected. Its a pain, I know, but after all, with a product that has some 30 000 parts or so, sometimes things go wrong. No big deal.

Edited by gbhrps