Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Alternative intercooler locations for my 90?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hinano

Hinano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Hawaii

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:48 PM

Okay ya'll, let me just first say, I'm not trying to revolutionize intercooler locations but looking at the car today in prepping for turbo motor, I started thinking..

1) if I want to keep the a/c, theres like NO room for a front mount unless from what I see, I take off the front bumper beam all together. 

2) Top mount can lead to heatsoak, which could be a big problem for my autoX desires. 

So this is what I was thinking, how about installing a hood scoop the the front part of the passenger side hood? Like right where the stock n/a air box would sit? Theres no motor sitting under it to heatsaok too bad, and there is plenty of space. The scoop would be off center of course but I don't really care. I am really looking to do a small intercooler which will support no more than like 250whp. Spool is important too so thats also why I want a smaller one.

The other two ideas were mounting it near the bottom of the engine with a up scoop or since my drivers side fender is so busted anyway, just cutting a scoop there?

I'd appreciate your opinions.

Edited by Hinano, 02 May 2014 - 02:49 PM.

#2 Hinano

Hinano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Hawaii

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:52 PM

Oh and I don't have abs btw so the air box area is just one giant open space for me.

#3 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

SubaRube Goldberg

• Gold Subscribers
  • 974 posts
  • PNW

Posted 02 May 2014 - 09:11 PM

I have seen factory VW turbo setups with a small intercooler mounted by the RF tire in the front fender area. I don't see any reason why your idea wouldn't work just fine too as long as you do the homework first. I think this was on a Turbo Beetle I put an engine in now that I think of it. Perhaps you can look at pics of one of those for ideas.

Edited by Crazyeights, 02 May 2014 - 09:14 PM.

#4 zombieforce

zombieforce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Knoxville,TN

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:13 PM

Yep all the 1.8 l turbo vws and audis used a side mount intercooler. The tt 225 had 2 of them one in each fenderwell connected by a crossover pipe its easy to get duct work to push air thru them and they are small enough to fit easily.

#5 Hinano

Hinano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Hawaii

Posted 03 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the tips! I'll research!

#6 WoodsWagon

WoodsWagon

Formerly 91Loyale

• Members
  • 3,945 posts
  • NH

Posted 03 May 2014 - 08:04 PM

Saab 900's used an intercooler mounted right behind the drivers headlight. Compact, cheap, and relatively easy to find in junkyards.

moDmkib6_rVCJbeAXjDy7aQ.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users