Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everyone Im Will and Im addicted to Subarus

My wife and I are addicted to Subarus I should say.I bought the first one in '07, a little 96 Legacy L wagon. When I bought it the car had 122,000 miles on it and when I sold it, it had 307,000 miles on the odometer and still got 26-28 mpg and was so quiet you had to wonder if it was still running at a stop sign. When I brought her home I remember my wife saying, "You bought a station wagon?" To which I replied, "NO, its a Subaru.". We were still in WV at the time and we got so much use and enjoyment out of that car its not even funny. We were seriously into camping at the time so we did a lot of car camping in it, even had a big Kelty tarp that connected our tent to the rear hatch when open, man was that spacious. 2100.00 and we never had to do any major repairs to it. Needless to say, my wife, and me, were sold on Subarus. Next up was another '96, this time it was the Legacy Outback, white just like the first one. Another very nice car, and built like a tank. 2200.00 this time and if I remember correctly, 137,000 miles on it. Smooth as silk and dependable. We bought it from a mechanic whos only patients were Subarus and he continued to be our mechanic, he would even come to the house and do any work needed to either of our cars. Now that is service ( I wish we were still in WV close to Matt ). So my wife got the OB and I have the "L" wagon. The "L" had all of the normal cancer spots, just in front of the rear wheel wells and at the corners of the doors but still ran like a new car but we decided to get something a little newer so we went and bought an '03 Outback, regatta red with 124,000 on the od, interior is flawless, back seats were never used and it still smelled new. What a steal for 4500.00 but wait, what is up with this car? It eats breaks like crazy? We kept her anyway. So Im now driving the '96 OB and the wife, as usual, has the newer, nicer car ( this is 2009), and drive it I did. I was in school at the time and the school I was attending was in Cedarville Michigan, 32 miles from the Canadian border, right on the upper shore of Lake Huron on Michigans upper Penninsula. Eight trips from WV to there over a two year period, not to mention all of the driving before and after. I knew that someday I would have the '03 OB and sure enough, I do now have it. The problem is, my wife now has a 2011 OB so she still has the nicer car, as usual. Oh well, she looks better in it than I would, she's prettier than I am. The '03 has proved itself to be every bit as good as the two '96's we had and, like the others, has never let us down. I was hoping the dependability wouldn't fall off once they shifted production from Japan to the States and while I don't feel the overall quality is what it was when they were coming out of the Land of the Rising Sun, there is still nothing else out there that I would spend MY money on. The only other car I covet the way I covet my Subarus is my '72 Cutlass but that is a different kind of car and while I love Large Marge, she is not as versatile as any of the Subarus we have owned but she is pretty, and a lot of fun.

So, we have had four Subies since '07 and every one of them have been great, Im sure we will have more. Ive converted my wife along the way, she always gets the "station wagon". ;) The 2011 is still too new for me to have an opinion but if it is half as good as the others, all of which have proved their mettle many times over, I will be happy. All I need now is a 3rd Gen OB and I will feel complete. Third Gens are my dream cars by the way, a black XT is me. Definitely what I will be looking for when new car time rolls around again, that or a brand new WRX STi, my wife is getting ready to graduate with her masters in nursing and as a Nurse Practitioner!!! She promised me a new car. Yes, she makes more money than I do.

Oh, a little about us I guess. I am 45, my wife is 44. We met in junior high school at the tender age of 12 and have been together ever since. We have two daughters, 25 and 18. Our oldest is out on her own and the 18yo is getting ready to leave for collage this Fall. I am a wooden shipwright and my wife is a nurse and professional student, she is always in school for something and I am extremely proud of her and greatly admire her for it. She is definitely my rock. Just in case you are wondering, a shipwright is someone who builds wooden ships or boats. No, there is really no money in it but it is something that I truly love doing and have never been happier waking up every morning and going to work knowing that when I get there I will be doing something that makes me happy. I currently work at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels Maryland.     

Yes, very clever. Like I said, Ive been a member for quite a long time but was very rude and didn't properly intro myself, I just barged in looking for a rear wiper motor. I apologize for that.

• Like 1