Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Loyale Engine Compartment Smoke

My 1992 3 speed automatic Loyale which i recently acquired makes whitish clear smoke in the engine compartment after driving for a while. It runs great and has no noticeable leaks but still smokes for about 5 minutes after i park it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Zach

If it is a white cloud like steam, check the plastic tank to see if the coolant level is low. There is a small bypass hose that comes out of the thermostat housing into the block, about a 1/4" dia hose. That is notorious for leaking coolant. The thing is if you run the engine and look under the hood you may not see if leaking. I had to grab the throttle and goose it before the the slit opened up and I could find the leak. When idling, the slit was closed and no leak. However as soon as power was applied, ir sprayed like a hose. 

If it smells like oil, the you have oil leaking and hitting the exhaust. Check your oil level to see if it is going down.

Edited by MR_Loyale