Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Subaru windows stop point

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dp213

dp213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Stanwood, WA

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:50 AM

My 2000 legacy windows don't stop when they are supposed to. They go about a half inch to far and have split the rubber seal. I looked inside the door and can see the stopper but it is about 1/4" from the catch when you roll the window up. Any ideas.

Thanks

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,040 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 05 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

These don't usually have window problems unless the window was broken and replaced at some point.
The top of the triangle (gusset seal) at the front is always split. The rubber dries, hardens, and shrinks with age and eventually splits. That part is about $75 IIRC at a Subaru dealer.

The upper stops in the door are there to park the window in the correct position when it rolls up. Those should be adjusted so the rear and top edges of the window meet the body seal in the correct position. The edge of the glass should be over the lip seal, and should then meet the cushion part beyond that. If it goes too far it stresses the door and the regulator, if it doesn't to far enough you get wind noise and possibly water leaks around the window. Basically the top edge of the window should be just under the metal strip at the top.
If you look at the lower rear edge of the window when its rolled up all the way, that is about how far over the edge of the lip seal the window should be the entire way up to the upper rear corner.
There is an adjustment on the lower section of the regulator that changes the angle of the window as it rolls up and down. You want to try to adjust this so the window hits both stops at the same time. If one stop hits before the other it will stress the regulator which will cause it to bend, and eventually the regulator will fatigue and crack.

There are instructions in the factory service manual for adjusting the window, but they're kind of confusing and require some special tools IIRC. But it has pictures of all of the adjustment points, and it may help.

#3 dp213

dp213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Stanwood, WA

Posted 05 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

I must have something bent inside the door. The front tab misses the stop by about 1/4" but the back one hits it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users