Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some newb general questions - yes did look through the FAQ

Hi there.  

I come from a long laundry list of car ownership, mostly FORD's but I wanted A - a WAGON and B - something bigger.  There is no REAL reason I need anything bigger, but just because I did.  I want to be able to throw almost anything in the trunk including 8 tires and wheels as well as haul my mountain bike.  I also own a 2002 SVT Focus with a powerworks supercharger as my track car.  I got rid of a 2001 Mazda 6 for the 2014 Outback.  

Guess I can list the cars I've owned over the past 11 years:

2002 Mercury Cougar

2003 Ford Focus ZX3

2003 SVT Focus

2002 SVT Focus - Powerworks supercharger - still own

1998 SVT Contour

2011 Mazda 6

**Now onto the questions -

On the focus forums they have a "sponsor" dealership where you get all parts 10% over cost and no tax.  Anything like that here?

I don't think the salesman knew much as he was explaining to me, but maybe he did and I thought he was lying.  Do you HAVE to buy subaru oil filters for this car?  I would say no, but what do I know about a Suby?  NOTHING...that's why I'm here haha.  Can I purchase aftermarket filters?  I'm betting yes, so the next question is can I get a BIGGER one?  That filter looks like the fuel filter on my focus that's how small the damn thing is.  But it seems if you got something TOO big it wouldn't screw on.  If you do go with an aftermarket filter do you also have to purchase the crush rings?  I would bet no, but want to ask.

What I LOVED about my Mazda is the one touch UP feature on the window switch.  I bought a base outback, do the higher end models have one touch UP windows and if they do, can you swap the switches?

My one friend likes to talk a bunch of spoob and says the head gaskets going to blow on this car at 100k.  I read the http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/68699-which-engine-models-blow-head-gaskets/ and it seems only the newer turbo motors blow them.  I should be safe correct?  Should I still be taking the head off at 100k to change things (but with how I go through cars who knows if I'll have it that long).

Think that's about it for now.  Thanks in advance.

-Joe

Well you didn't tell us what year Outback you purchased.

Yes many of the dealers have online parts with up to 25% off.

Subaru Filters are good filters and do the job.  They have a round oring style seal instead of the square cut seal and seal better.

You only have to change the crush ring if it's damaged.

Only the Drivers window comes in the auto full up or down function.

HG on the 2000+ have external leaks, oil or coolant.  Make sure you run the Subaru coolant conditioner and keep an eye on leaks.  They start small and will stay that way for a long time.

Enjoy your new Subaru

no question there's a high failure rate on HGs on the early NA 2.5 DOHC engines (EJ25D ?). later 2.5s can develop external weeping. I have no idea on 'modern' engines as new as yours. So far, my 2003 H6 Outback and my 2006 WRX turbo wagon have had no serious problems.

as said, subarugenuineparts.com, Fred Beans and subarupartsforyou.com and others are discounted online dealers with OEM parts.

many folks have perfectly fine results with quality aftermarket filters. (WIX and I think NAPA now have filters with Subaru bypass valve specs. Purolater Pure One is very close) I bought a box of Dorman crush washers and do use a new one on the drain plug. Some people report NEVER having used a new one so.....

there MAY be an aftermarket 'kit' available for the UP window issue, not sure. In the past, there have been hacks and mods made for 2-3 other little issues like that. (windshield misting,key-off rear 12v power, etc.)

Take care of your tires and read your manual about using the spare, and towing your car. GOOD AWD systems have special requirements when it comes to tires and towing. Not sure a 2014 has the same sensitivities along these lines as my older models.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

On oil filters.......the smaller oil filters do a good job. Not aware of any after market larger ones, or need for a larger one. No, you don't have to use a Subaru OEM oil filter, others will work well. Recommend Purolator, Wix, Napa (really a Wix filter). IMO, don't recommend Fram filters. The crush washer is used on the drain plug, not the oil filter. I re-use mine, but you are inviting a drip or two leakage.

You don't say if you bought new or used. Subaru head gaskets have gotten a lot better. It is no longer a situation of needing replacement at 100K miles.

Enjoy your new ride, and great to have you as a new member on USMB.

The oil filter is tiny because it doesn't NEED to be any bigger. Better oils, better crankcase breather systems, better air filtration on newer cars means less crap in the oil to need to be filtered out.

That said, there are many aftermarket filters that will fit, and they may be slightly larger than the stock Subaru filter, but size alone doesn't mean they work better. Stick to a quality brand like Wix, Mann, Bosch, Purolator, Hastings. And be sure to run the recommended oil type (should be synthetic on that car) and weight.

Head gaskets really aren't a huge problem on the newer engines. They dont "blow out", and if they do leak its usually a manageable external leak. The new F series engines don't really have enough miles on them yet to say one way or the other if the head gasket issues are still around. But if anywhere on the Internet would have info, it would probably be on SubaruOutback.org.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help everyone!  I did mention here : I got rid of a 2001 Mazda 6 for the 2014 Outback.  but seems it was kind of in a bad area. No worries.

I will say these forums are very helpful so far and have a lot of good info!  Coming from a Focus forum (and still on occasionally) this is a good transition!

I've seen some bad forums and this seems to be very nice.

I will keep these

So imdew, do you know which Subaru line had the one touch up drivers side?  I forgot to mention that is what the mazda had, but it's just so nice!  If I can swap I will start looking around for them!

Also what is Subaru coolant conditioner?  I guess I've heard of redline and royal purple additives you can put in there to keep the coolant cooler (which is what I have in the focus for the heat exchanger bottle)  Same concept?

1 lucky Texan - Are those mods you mentioned in the sticky at the top here?  I'll have to look into those!

Thanks for mentioning about the spare and towing...I was going to read the "woman's clutch" as I called it (what it looked like by size and of course I called it a purse and had a woman salesperson for 1/2 the time who was just an internet manager to get ppl in the door and she called it a clutch haha) one of these days here.

rooster - thanks.  Just shocks me those small filters work as good as the new, but I guess faritax4me point is very valid!  Thanks also fair.

I've always used either Castrol Syntec full syn or Mobile 1 full syn oil on all my cars.  I change every 5k. 

I guess I do have one other question since it is on my mind...

I was intending on changing the oil the first time at 1250 miles or thereabouts and again at 5k.  What if I put a semi-synthetic in for the first change (since it will only be in there 3750 miles or so) and full synthetic after that every 5k?  thoughts?

Thanks again!

I'll also mention I love the car so far.  The AWD is just do different and "nicer" than all the other cars I've driven, although I really did want to get the MTX as oppose to the auto (as all my other cars were stick) but they didn't have stick.  I'll live!

Edited by avengerc4

I second, third , or 4th you can use aftermarket oil filters but do as suggested and stick with the better ones. If a person was so inclined and was over worried about it, you could spend money and change just the filter between oil changes. Now , for the early oil change question, I did a full rebuild 18k miles ago now and I learned a lesson , do NOT change it early, I had a heck of a time getting mine to break in because I did it first at 150 and then 500 because I was being overly cautious. Mine didn't break in and was burning some oil until I went with conventional ( non synthetic) and left it in there for 5000 miles. I did change filter on it at 2500 when I did that. Subaru has a built in bypass that opens up if oil filter gets plugged up. That's a good thing as it won't let engine starve for oil , but,if its to the point filter is plugged and by pass opens, your running dirty oil / debris through your engine. Drain plug crush rings are cheap enough, I change mine every 3 or 4 oil changes just so I don't chance an occasional drip. The coolant conditioner is basically a stop leak more than anything and is only about 3 bucks from Subaru. Cheap insurance I guess for any small leak trying to develop. I now run mobile 1 full synthetic in mine after I finally got it to break in. Welcome aboard USMB and have fun with your new subie. You will be very impressed with its awd system. I live in Colorado and its actually hard to make mine spin a tire or slip in the snow. We love ours. 2003 outback wagon.

thanks again!  I will check out that other forum as well.  Last time I opened it through google I got the pop-up that Avast has stopped a virus from attacking your computer and I never went back haha.

will thanks.  I was planning on buying only purolators if I were to buy one, but looking around at pricing they seem to be more expensive then just buying a set on ebay of genuine subaru, but I haven't been able to look TOO much.

I might have to post some photos soon.  Just got the car back from getting tinted and the hitch put on.  Looks great with the tints on the green :)