Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2006 Legacy GT Powertrain Cylinder Misfire Code

P0303 P0304

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ki6fff

ki6fff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Menifee, CA

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:13 PM

I have an automatic 2006 Legacy GT wagon with the turbo. It has about 185,000 miles on it. I just had a complete rebuild of the engine by Outfront Motorsports in Buena Park. They installed forged WRX pistons, ARP rod bolts and WRX engine mounts as upgrades for helping the engine last. They did a great job on the rebuild and are very helpful if I have any issues. My only concern is that I have piston slap in cylinders 2 and 4 but it doesn't effect the engine other than noise.

Under hard acceleration, like merging onto the 91, my check engine light flashes and the transmission holds the gear up to redline. When I check the codes using my TORQUE app on my phone, I get P0304, and P0303, Powertrain cylinder misfire detected. Outfront can't seem to replicate it when they have the car. Also, sometimes the car is hard to start after I clear the code.

What could be the cause and how to I remedy this issue?

PS, The turbo has been rebuilt within the last two years; I use Rotella oil and change it at 4k miles.

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,784 posts
  • Texas

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:41 PM

hard to say but, could be wires or maybe a coil issue.

I think you may need to have the ECU read for the fuel trims. If it doesn't run well on the factorey map, like after a reset, that kinda points to a major correction the ECU is having to make in A:F or timing or ???

do you run high octane? if not, try a tank or 2 and see if it's better - maybe the car is knocking ? Knock sensors go bad and are cheap to change out.

I'd also pull the covers and look for slipped cam timing.

#3 ki6fff

ki6fff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Menifee, CA

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

Thanks, yes, I run 91 or better every time. I'll look into the knock sensors. The plugs, wires, and coils have all been replaced during the rebuild.

#4 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,784 posts
  • Texas

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

check the timing.

using OEM or NGK wires?

#5 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,826 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

How long since the rebuild? Have the plugs been changed since then?
I would pull the plugs first and see how they look.
If the car has COPs make sure the boots are ok, and look for evidence of burns (white powerdery markings). Also check the springs that clip onto the top of the plugs for any corrosion or burning.

If it has plug wires and a coil pack move the wires around and see if the misfire follows. Also check the ends for corrosion or burning at the plug and the coil.

#6 ki6fff

ki6fff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Menifee, CA

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:13 PM

The rebuild is less than 3 months old with less than 7k miles on the new engine.

#7 ki6fff

ki6fff

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Menifee, CA

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:14 PM

With NGK plugs and wires

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: P0303, P0304

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users