Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi guys,

After of numerous days spent to find the misfire I decided to open the heads and find out if the problem is coming from inside.

(http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/145707-hello-subaru-lovers-question-for-you/)

I took the heads to the machine shop, they are going to clean them up and check the compression. The heads overall don't look bad, valves are not bent. The head gasket on the left head was replaced, but the head looked old; the head gasket on the right was bad, but the head looked like new. Weird :/ 

The bad thing is that the heads were easy to take off, we are thinking they were not on the proper torque.

Question is, what if they tried to mess with the valves and did not do a proper job with it, how can I adjust the valves myself? Any special tools needed?

Thank you 

No special tools needed. A flat tip screwdriver and I think 10 mm wrench if I recall correctly and a feller gauge, an angled one is best, 5 bucks or less at parts store. Can't rmemeber you engine size but here goes for 2.5. Sohc. Assuming heads are back on and its already in time and valve covers are off. Left timing cover , right side if your facing engine) is off so you can see can sprocket! Align the arrow on left timing sprocket with notch on timing belt cover, yes , we are using the arrow this time, not the timing notch on the sprocket!!! That puts your no. 1 cyl at top dead center. Now, use your feeler gauge and measure or see what your intake and Exaughst are at. Do this by sliding the blades between the rocker and the valve stem!!I set my intake 2001-2005 non turbo 2.5 Sohc) to .008 Exaughst at .010. .... do this by loosening the lock nut and turn the adjuster with screwdriver. You want feeler gauge to feel drag but not forced. Now, tighten locknut and recheck to make sure they didn't move when tightening locknut!!!!!! Now rotate crankshaft 180 deg, can shaft will only mover 90 , in clockwise rotation. Now tour ready to do the number 3 cylinder. Get it adjusted same as cylinder 1. Now once that one is set, rotate 180 again, can moves 90 deg. Do the number 2 cylinder, when finished with it, move crank another 180. Can only moves 90 of course and do number 4 cylinder. I always rotate engine a few times and recheck them all again toake triple sure. But that is how you adjust valves on a 2000-2005 non turbo Sohc Subaru. Someone check me to make sure I didn't leave anything out please!!!

Thank you, the most important thing for me was how to measure and adjust valves, but I think this will help!

"Now, use your feeler gauge and measure or see what your intake and Exhaust are at. Do this by sliding the blades between the rocker and the valve stem!!"

I type cam but my ignorant phone changes spelling, I promise I'm not tarded lol. But yes , put your feeler gauge between top of valve stem and where rocker contacts it. You want to feel a drag just like adjusting spark plug gap or something similar. The tolerances are actually on intake .007-.009 and Exaughst .009-.011 so I set mine in the middle of both so don't fret much over having it so perfect , as long as they are within those tolerances.