Ultimate Subaru Message Board

couple issues with ej swap

bratman18

I drove this home tonight, about 15 miles or so. It took a while, except for down hills. It's really weird. I flat out can't floor it. But if I feather it, it runs ok. But still won't rev very high. But if I floor it, it falls flat on its face and wants to die. I'm really hoping I can get this going.

Edited by bratman18

Have you looked into the IAC at all?

Not sure if you are throwing any codes, but this thought occurred to me from back when I read this thread: http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=136053

Code 24 - Idle Control Senenoid - Air control Valve inoperative (feedback circuit detects fault) - Fail safe is to prevent over-rev by using engine speed and throttle position to cut the fuel deivery - might run rough.

Have you checked the TPS sensor? Just throwing out ideas based on what you haven't mentioned already.

Good news is, you're running out of possibilities, so hopefully the fix is right around the corner!

I haven't swapped either of those out, but it threw no codes except for the rear o2. Nothing else. And we swapped another intake manifold on from a running car, and it still did the same thing, which would eliminate those anyway. Yeah I feel like it's something stupid, but we've checked everything many times over. It's so discouraging.

Check for missing teeth on your crank sprocket. IDK which style you have (the 5 tooth or the million tooth one) but I had a camry do the EXACT same thing on me. WOULD NOT run over 3300 RPM. Idled great, smooth, but nasty and dead after ~3K RPM

Lady came to me saying car runs like spoob after timing belt change, but the marks lined up, sensor specd/tested good and no CEL.

Prior mechanic had pried the crank sprocket off, breaking a few of the teeth and the ECU would sense a missing/intermittent CKP, but would run and clear the MIL since the senor was "sensing" again.

The only other thing I can think of is check for AC voltage. My GG and EA82 did this to me. Would run weird as hell, no CEL, nothing above ~2000 RPM on the GG and above 3K on the EA82 because the outputting AC Voltage was greater than 4 VAC and the ECU would interpret that differently.

Turns out the diode trio failed after an engine bath...

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't read back through this whole thing but it sounds like you may have a bad injector or two that are sticking open. A quick way to check is hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see how fast your fuel pressure bleed down. If it is quick then you have a stuck injector or more.

The only way you can get gas mixed with you oil is if an injector is stuck open and bleeding gas when you shut down or a cylinder is not firing while you are running ( less likely ). It may or may not have anything to do with the problem of not revving  but it is the only way to get fuel mixed in the oil.

• 4 weeks later...

So the oil is overfull, and very thin, like maybe there is fuel mixed in. Any relation to the issues I'm having? What could cause this?

I had this exact problem when I first did my swap.  It was the front o2 sensor harness.  I tried a new o2 harness and it fixed the problem.

This is obd2 correct?  With the "big plug" o2? 

Hey Jason....You get that harness?  Have you had a chance to try it yet?  Sorry it wasn't labeled as nicely it was a pull out from my rolled GL.

Yes I got it, sorry I haven't been in touch. Worked a week of storm work after a snow storm put out power to over 80,000 people. And I've had my kids every weekend. So time has been stretched. As soon as I get a chance, I'll be getting it installed and trying it! I'm praying it fixes it.

I had this exact problem when I first did my swap.  It was the front o2 sensor harness.  I tried a new o2 harness and it fixed the problem.

This is obd2 correct?  With the "big plug" o2? 

It's 96 Obd II with the 2 o2 sensors......Neither of which has it's own harness.....they are part of the main harness to the ECU.

Sounds like you are talking Phase II SOHC 2000+

This model should run reasonably with no O2 hooked up at all.

It will start with no o2 but not run reasonably with out the front o2.

It sounds to me like an issue with the front o2, causing the engine to run open loop, i.e. rich.  In bratman18's case very rich if the oil is getting saturated with fuel.   

Yes it will run fine with no O2........Certainly not the problem.

I ran my 2.2 with the same setup an NEITHER 02 sensor for several weeks until I got the bungs welded into the exhaust.  Runs fine.

Hey I'm just trying to help.

I read through all pages, and you have double checked everything you touched during the reseal.  Also Gloyale has verified that your harness is good and your maf is bad.  I would assume you fixed that already.

Do you have a multimeter and a test light?  My next step would be to test the crank sensor, cam sensor, and throttle sensor.

• 1 month later...

Humor me for a second, I know I am a bit stuborn, but I have fixed THOUSANDS of cars over the years. Have you done an actual compression or leakdown test to make sure there isn't some internal mechanical problem? Before you proceed with your diagnosis? I would gladly come over and help you solve this. I am just too far away :unsure: Maybe it burned an exhaust valve or something. Just trying to help.

Edited by Crazyeights

Humor me for a second, I know I am a bit stuborn, but I have fixed THOUSANDS of cars over the years. Have you done an actual compression or leakdown test to make sure there isn't some internal mechanical problem? Before you proceed with your diagnosis? I would gladly come over and help you solve this. I am just too far away :unsure: Maybe it burned an exhaust valve or something. Just trying to help.

I'm definitely not opposed to doing that. I unfortunately don't have access to tools or a place to work on it at the moment. It's been very cold here for quite a while now, and now, after having the flu for a week, there's about 6" of snow on the car. I still need to install the harness that Gloyale sent me as well. I'm not sure what could be wrong with the motor. It ran perfect before we took it out of the legacy. All we did was reseal it and put new timing components on it. And the timing is set right and has been checked 10 times. I really wish one of you guys was closer.

• 3 months later...

So this is finally resolved. It was something stupid of course, but something that wasn't thought to check. I planned on swapping the engine because that was the only thing I hadn't swapped out. I removed the exhaust and decided to try it just for the hell of it. It fired up and revved right to 6500rpms. So I immediately knew it was something with the exhaust. I removed the muffler and tried it, it still did it. I then removed the flex pipe, and it still did it, then I removed the small pipe off the header. That's where I found a small metal object, that looks like the cap to a metal chain link fence wedged in the pipe against the o2 sensor. I don't know where it came from, how it got there, or why it was in there. I do know it wasn't there when I assembled and installed the exhaust, or at least not in view. So it's aggravating that it's taken 2 years to find this, and to not know where this piece came from, but I'm excited to finally be able to finish this piece of the project and drive it!