Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Speed Bleeders for old Subarus? (part numbers and pics added!)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The front speed bleeders are NAPA part # 675-1570 - look like the part# SB1010S to me (Balkamp, NAPA's supplier, renumbers everything to screw up countermen). The rears (drum) aren't listed here - by measuring one off my shelf it looks like the SB7100 should work - little shorter on the head side, but the depth looks the same by the picture on the website.

And now I'll get back to work too!

The front speed bleeders are NAPA part # 675-1570 - look like the part# SB1010S to me (Balkamp, NAPA's supplier, renumbers everything to screw up countermen). The rears (drum) aren't listed here - by measuring one off my shelf it looks like the SB7100 should work - little shorter on the head side, but the depth looks the same by the picture on the website.

And now I'll get back to work too!

Hey thanks a lot! I called a NAPA and the dude said he never even heard of them and they didnt sell them!!!! Some part numbers should jog his memory :)

Everywhere that stocked them said they couldnt/wouldnt figure out what fit on my Subaru. Hopefully I can get some tomarrow!

fronts MTM Front Bleeder Screw 1 per car. # 12706 Card of 2 $11.89 2 CARD w/BUILT-IN CHECK VALVE 1 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY motormite haven't seen anthing for the rear

Looks like Checkers stocks these. The rears are a mystery still. I'm on the phone with NAPA right now trying to beat some answers out of the parts man :)

Will report back when I have more info!

ARGH! This local NAPA really sucks. The guy there today admits they DO have them now but he wont help me figure out the rears over the phone. I asked him if the SB7100 manufacture part number would be on the packaging. With out even hinting at caring and refusing to go look he said NO its not on there and I would just have to bring one in so we can eyeball it!!!

I'm not happy ...

I would have asked him to just look up and find a rear replacment bleeder for my year/make/model and try to compare a SpeedBleeder but that would obviously be way too much work...

Partsman!!! Any way I could get a NAPA part # for those SB7100? thanks!

No go at napaonline.com either :( Think im just gonna go to checkers who I know had the fronts in stock and bring in a rear bleeder to compoare and match a speed bleeder to..

I will definatly reply back here with all the part numbers I can get my hands on :)

Here the dillyo :)

Ill just make this long story short. Finally got my hands on some Speed Bleeders. Motormite #12706 are a direct bolt in for the front calipers. Nobody has anything listed for the rear drums. The selections are very limited so I eye balled the best I could. NONE of them were even close really. The rear drum bleeders are VERY long compared to most other bleeders I saw. I ended up just grabing a set of Motormite #12704.

I made some custom bleeders for the rear :) I linked up some photos of my custom bleeders. THe first is the speed bleeder. Basicly its just an 1/8" ID hose, 2 clamps and one #12704 at one end. THe other end slips onto your drum bleeder and you clamp it down tight. Simply crack the drum bleeder loose a 1/2 turn and bleed away!

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/usmb/brake_bleeders_006.jpg

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/usmb/brake_bleeders_003.jpg

The other bleeders there with the long hoses. Those are for 'bench' bleeding your master cylinder. Unhook the 2 lines from the right side of the master cylinder. Screw in these duders, put the ends of the hoses into your master cylinder and slowly pump your brake pedal. They are made from 2 fittings and hardlines I had left over and some 3/16" ruber hose.

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/usmb/brake_bleeders_019.jpg

Hope this hleps someone else :)

Sorry, I've been busy and haven't checked back.

Balkamp (the NAPA line that has such things as Speedbleeders and all sorts of accessory crap) only picks up the fastest moving part numbers from suppliers. SO, we do not have the rears exactly. There are some M7x1.0 bleeders that are only 34mm long that MIGHT work - part# 675-1572.

BTW, for you old guys (79 and prior), the front bleeders by my catalog are 675-1572 as well.

ADD

Just checked the website - I think the 675-1572's ARE the SB7100's

ARGH! This local NAPA really sucks. The guy there today admits they DO have them now but he wont help me figure out the rears over the phone. I asked him if the SB7100 manufacture part number would be on the packaging. With out even hinting at caring and refusing to go look he said NO its not on there and I would just have to bring one in so we can eyeball it!!!

I'm not happy ...

I would have asked him to just look up and find a rear replacment bleeder for my year/make/model and try to compare a SpeedBleeder but that would obviously be way too much work...

BTW, if I wasn't a Sub freak, I probably would have told you the same thing. Balkamp does not even refer to the Speedbleeder part #. Bleeders aren't listed by application, either. Digging out bleeders from calipers and wheel cylinders, measuring them, then digging in the books for a $10 sale isn't most parts dudes idea of a good time - I just happen to be Different! :slobber: :slobber: :slobber:

Hey thanks for reporting back Partsman. Maybe someone else can test out those rears that might fit? I'm pretty happy with my custom ones so far but if I loose them on the trail or something I'll prolly replace them with those SB27100

Ya I didnt really expect him to go digging around for bleeders, measuring and comparing but he was rather rude about even helping me in the slightest manor. We need more part represenatives l ike YOU! :D

• 2 months later...
I'm pretty happy with my custom ones so far but if I loose them on the trail or something

So far I've hit stuff deep enough bury it upto the timing belts. Last weekend I hit some mud lumpy enougn to rip off the fuel pump BUT the clamped on custom speed bleeders still hold on :)

I'll have to see if I can find some speed bleeders for the rear calipers I'm putting on. Then I wouldnt need the hose and clamps. I'll reply to this post if I get the part # of a direct swap.

If this brake job is anything like my last one I'll be bleeding for a while. Never let the master cylinder go dry! :rolleyes:

im not so familiar with these. is this a permanent install into the brake lines, or is it a tool you put on only when you need to purge your brake fluid?

They completly replace the bleeders in your brake caliper cylinder or your rear drum brake cylinder. Usually you just bust loose the 'nipple' (bleeder) on the brake and manually open/close it with a wrench to bleed your brakes. Keep wrentching untill you can pull out the bleeder, screw in the speed bleeder and you are good to go. Says right on the box how to properly use them. Basicly you just barely bust them loose, bleed that line, and tighten it back down.

Its magik :banana:

• 5 weeks later...
Would rear disk brakes use the same S/B as the front?

Craven

I just checked this weekend when doing my rear disc conversion. They are different :( The rear caliper brake cylinder bleeders are considerably smaller than the front. I couldnt find another direct bolt in replacement either in stock. There might be one that is available but this store just didnt have one. I went with my custom made speed bleeders that I had on my rear drums cuz they work just as well :)

• 2 weeks later...

Cross directional brake bleeding is teh win!!!111 :banana:

Had to run some new hardline in the rear... again... Just bleed them rear right, front left, rear left, front right and my pedal is stiff once more :) A few months ago I had to replace most of my rear lines. I must have bleed quarts by using other procedures that many claimed were the right way.

speed bleeders + cross directional bleeding = easy bleedy brakes !_!