Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 GL-10 pushed the rear main!

Hello to everybody once again! soooo going back to my wagon...had numerous vacuum leaks after sitting for 5 years...found them all finally  :banana:  but the other day I was on my way across town and i just get onto the highway and there are clouds of smoke coming from my car...so i get off on the next exit and pull into a parking lot...pop the hood and find oil EVERYWHERE on the driver side of the motor...I put another two quarts of oil in her and fire her up and it is slinging off the flywheel and 15ft away...after about 2 quarts of oil end up on the ground the tow truck shows up to tow my little car for the 6th time in the last 30 days or so...get it home pull the tranny expecting to see nothing left of the rear main...come to find out it is flush up against the flywheel...main question is what do I check out to prevent getting so much pressure in my crank so this doesn't happen again? I put a new seal in and pinned it in there for now...any help would be appreciated! 

~Regards 

MuddyThunder

I had a spare factory seal luckily...and where is the pcv valve located? the other odd thing that it does is it has oil coming out of the cannister out in front of the motor on the passenger side...my lifted wagon doesn't have oil come out of there so i researched it and found that if something is plugged it will do that...I think the pcv valve is the white guy that plugs into the bottom of the air inlet? not sure though...may be another one hiding...? anyway thanks for the input!

~Regards
   MuddyThunder

woah - pushing out of the canister?!  that is terrible.

PCV location on an EA82:

http://home.comcast.net/~lawsonmh15/Top-Hoses.jpg

the seal that got pushed out - was that a Subaru seal or aftermarket?

i've had aftermarkets not be properly sized and leak on EA engines.  i'd use Subaru or very carefully make sure it's seating properly/measure anything else.

this sounds like way too much pressure though.  if you can get those pressures down you might want to peak at the cam/crank seals.