Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stock 2-Core Radiator (?)

My Subaru shop told me that my ea81T probably has a 2-Core Rad. and that the turbos usually do. We're fixing up my cooling system. I was under the impression that there weren't 2-cores and that none were made for an ea81 or ea82... I keep reading about people on the board having to modify 2-core radiators to fit. Just wanted to clear up my confusion.

Thanks,

tomrhere has an ea82 radiator in his brat, but it has an ea82 motor as well.

one way to tell from single row and dual row is to look at the top of the radiator, the single row has an indentation on the front and center, while the dual is straight across.

if there is ever a fitment issue with the radiator, the cores themselves are swappable between the bottom and top rail. we had a rad. for the rx and we had to swap the bottom for the rubber mounts and the top for the bolt alignment.

the bolts that hold it together have captive nuts molded in the plastic, the plastic around it may break. if so gently pick away the plastic till you can get a wrench on the nut, or wedge it still with a flat screwdriver to turn them free.

I am using the 2-row CSF radiator...............BTW, that "Radiatorconnection" site is a bit high-priced. I paid less and it was delivered overnight!

THe installation problem is not with the radiator itself, it's the fact that the second row of the core is closer to the mechanical fan; so there is less clearance for the fan shroud to slide in.............you have to grind it down a little (not too far, or you'll take out the spot welds that hold it together) in the bottom, center of the shroud. You only need enough to clear the fan-clutch.

Oh, the radiator includes a heat exchanger for a slush-bucket trans..........and the hose connections stick out some, so drop it in carefully. Once installed, everything fits nice.

Got mine from 1-800-RADIATOR................Business customers will get a better deal (hint, hint re-sale lic. # required) than I did................

So far, I never see the temp. guage past the middle of the scale, even with the A/C running full blast waiting at stoplights.............

I will put my old rad. in the Market place.......it just needs to be rodded out and it's all brass too.

As another source for a 2-core (for an EA-82)...

I got my 2-core at Auto Zone. It was listed as stock replacement for a newer Automatic Tranny Loyale. It fit fine into my 86 EA-82 with a slight bit less clearance between rad and mechanical fan. Only had to modify the Right radiator hose as the angle coming from the rad was slightly different. Just used a stock formed hose for the same Loyale and cut it to length to fit.

I don't remember the exact cost, somewhere just over $100. With a 160 deg thermostat runs plenty cool but I am running a 5-speed and unfortunately no A/C .... from the factory :( (Who ordered this thing without A/C, anyway??!)

HbL

• 16 years later...

The brackets for mounting at the top of XT4 radiator have an angle to them, maybe could be cut off or modded to fit,

Or added to to make std twin core fit XT

Have you found twin core?

I use an EA81 std twin core in front of EA82T in Brumby

I did once start to fit an XT single core into EA81 Brumby body

I have a 2 core that my father bought 17 years ago, but we have another xt we want to restore. It should also have a dual core, we are looking in to taking the stock radiator in to a custom shop and having them add the second row. Step-a-toe, I am unfamiliar with the term std in regards to vehicle parts. What do you mean a std twin core could be modded to fit?

Edited by SiriusBlack

Std = short hand for standard. 

The rad shop won’t be able to “add” the second row of channels. They might be able to replace the core with a dual core and re-use the end tanks, but with them being plastic and so old, I’d have them make up metal end tanks. 

Cheers 

Bennie

I measured my stock radiator. If I get an aftermarket one and mod the mounts to fit, the main part of the radiator has to be no taller than 14 inches and no wider than 29 and a half inches. Anyone know of a universal radiator around that size??

Edited by SiriusBlack

The radiator out of a BRZ has a core that is pretty much perfect for the EA82 chassis, I've modified an aftermarket Koyo radiator in my '87.  @Nico has the same radiator with a slightly different mounting system.

Not sure about the EA81s, I think there is an outfit in Australia that has large aftermarket aluminum radiators, but the shipping to the states costs more than the radiator.

I bought mine from MAPerformance during a Black Friday sale, but the best price appears to be at Sohi Performance now, free shipping too:  http://sohiperformance.com/i-1974983.aspx

It will require some modification, which was pretty scary with a brand new part, but it does fit pretty nicely.  I'm not done installing it yet, but @Nico has and can provide more insight.  If you have Instagram you can see some of the modifications on my page: @templeoffuji

• 2 weeks later...

I have never had any issues with heat on my 92 loyale. Even with 100+ outside, up and down hills. Infact I've never seen it reach half way. It gets maybe a 1/4" past the tstat opening point. Maybe loyales all had dual core?

My heat issue is the ac condenser getting heat soaked. After a minute or two at a stop light the AC gets warm.

Also if you have fuel injection don't change you're tstat from stock! It cost me 8mpg when I got a 160F. Drove me nuts trying to figure out why. ECU will never leave closed loop unless coolant reaches the correct temp.

39 minutes ago, Ionstorm66 said:

I have never had any issues with heat on my 92 loyale. Even with 100+ outside, up and down hills. Infact I've never seen it reach half way. It gets maybe a 1/4" past the tstat opening point. Maybe loyales all had dual core?

Get an aftermarket gauge that actually indicates a temperature figure, then you’ll see it move up and down. Factory temp gauges are built to stay steady within certain parameters to keep the consumer happy. Once that needle heads north it’s already too late!! 

The NA Loyales came out with a single core radiator. I’m not sure of what models came with dual core. Even here in Oz they all had single core for NA from factory. 

If your AC gets warm at the lights it needs a service - or the fans looked at to ensure proper air flow when stationary. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 2