Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 gl turbo coupe to ej22t

belac88

So I have an 87 gl turbo coupe with the ea 82 t motor and the 5 speed with high low ranges. And now I want to swap in my 91 legacy ss motor tranny and rear diff. Where do I start? I have both cars. My leggy motor tranny and front crossmember are pulled. It still has all the control arms with brakes and struts still attached. Can I throw all this under my 87 gl without too much pain in the assery lol.

So I've decided to just up the boost in the coupe and find an impreza coupe for the ej22t?

But I was wondering if I put the td05 turbo on the rx (I will have to make a new header up pipe for it. Can I run the stock boost solenoid and will it be fine at the stock 5-7 psi. I really just want the turbo sound and my 3" turbo back exhaust on the gl . I also will be running the fmic and RFL bov. Can I just hook up the original boost solenoid the the turbo and everything will be fine.

the gl turbo coupe at least will accommodate the ej22t havig the dip in the crossmember for the up-pipe. a ej22t swap would be dope. you can make the trans fit, saving you the mess with modified bellhousings, but the driveshaft will have to be modified.

the legacy front suspension can be used if you modify the lower control arm or use one from an xt6. there is a little more to it, but any searching for 'ej swap' or '5 lug swap' will show you what to expect

ej22t swap would be dope. you can make the trans fit, saving you the mess with modified bellhousings, but the driveshaft will have to be modified.

Being that this is an MPFI turbo the drive shafts should already be the larger 25 spline like the EJ units.  If not a new set of front shafts from a MPFI EA82 or MPFI EA82T '87 onwards will fit the EJ output stubs.

Or if you're really keen, split the box and swap the output stubs with a set of 23 spline EA units ;)

The EJ22t swap would be dope - and it's been done before, do a search for Turbone (I think) - he's got a schmick L coupe that I could only dream of owning something like it (even with an EA82!).

Cheers

Bennie