Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Suggestions on rear brake adjustments

I posted this awhile ago but then I kinda forgot about my brakes for awhile.

I went out the other day and tried to adjust my rear brakes (84 4wd wagon). I can't get the adjusters to budge. I think part of it is I can't get a good hold of the adjuster since it has a square end?

Sprayed penetrating oil all over, tried heating them up with a torch, nothing. I'm almost certain there far out of adjustment too.

With the back wheels off the ground and my brother on the brakes I could turn the wheel with my hands.

What should I do? Anyone have some other ideas, is there an actual tool for the adjusters or am I supposed to use a crescent wrench?

Most likely you need to buy new adjusters. They are often times welded beyond repair with brake dust and heat from the shoes. I've even removed them and used a vise and a pipe wrench - I have always failed to ressurect them after they are like that. Busted a couple off even. I don't even try now - I just find some that are working, or get new ones.

GD

Goat:

If they have been driven on for a while, there really is no adjustment if the unit is working properly.

If they feel like they are "out of adjustment", your adjuster is probably froze up, and that means it's hosed.

May as well make a rear axle brake job of it and get a new hardware pack and shoes, if necessary. I always turn the drums anytimes I replace the shoes.

This will get your rears back in business for a good long time. You don't need to worry about the rears as much as your fronts. That's where most of your stopping power comes from.

good luck, John

Convert to discs is the normal solution around here. Those adjusters are terrible especially on cars in the salt belt.

I have the brake adjust wrench and will probably be selling it since I dont have a drum brake car anymore.

The adjusters are fairly universal, and can be found even at discount parts stores like AutoZone. I wouldn't even fool with one from a JY.

As Shawn said, a rear disk conversion is a worthy upgrade. This would be a good alternative to rebuilding your rear drum system. They may, or may not be easy to come by, depending on where you live. In OH where I live, people snatch them from the junkyards quick.

good luck, John

yeah, you could either spend some money on restoring your drum brakes (yechh) or spend some money on the rear disc swap. I've figured that I could do a rear disc swap and a front brake service on an EA81 for around $100.. the hard part is finding caliper hoses that haven't been chopped at the holding area at the JY. anyone ever priced new hoses by chance?

• 4 months later...

I srarted witn the 6mm, then the locking adjustable wrench, then rounded it off with vise slips :banghead:

at least the other side was easy :drunk:

Convert to discs is the normal solution around here. Those adjusters are terrible especially on cars in the salt belt.

I have the brake adjust wrench and will probably be selling it since I dont have a drum brake car anymore.

ShawnW, do you still have the wrench? $5?

good thing I SEARCHED