Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Awful grinding sounds, clutch failing, please help

Hello all!

I've been experiencing some really awful sounds as of recent with my 99 Legacy.  The 5-speed is pushing 28's and has been for the last 125k (car has 225k on her).  The noise is absent whenever the clutch is fully depressed but upon releasing it there is a sound akin to that of a baseball card stuck in the spokes of a bicycle (but much more metalic and hellacious).  I suspect clutch as it has been getting a little hot and smelly.

Help, advice, and such is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

:brat:

Edited by 99lego

Since the noise is only when the input shaft in the trans is spinning.....Im going to say it isn't the clutch....or not just the clutch at least.....It's the upper shaft rear bearing.......and likely the noise you smell is burning gear oil being slung out the input shaft seal.

Trans can probably be saved if it hasn't started poping out of gear......but I would split the case and replae the upper shaft bearings and the input seal.  Inspect the pinion bearing too but if it's good leave it because otherwise you have to measure and possibly reshim the case.

Thanks for reply!

This is a JDM 5-MT.  Hasn't slipped a gear yet.  I'm on the fence between fixing the problem and keeping her on the road or cannibalizing the lift and mudrat bumper off her and starting over with a "new" legacy.  Regardless I'd probably fix the trans and keep it too for the "new" one.

Edited by 99lego

I'll pull the clutch and examine. Clutch has less than 30k on it.

The JDM 5-speed is the her third transmission. My last junk yard trans made it 12k, had no 2'd gear, and toasted that clutch. The OEM trans grenaded the center diff. (Very hard to locate one divorced from the tranny) but was an easy fix. Lasted 180k before she went out.

I'm partial to this JDM 4.11. It's been strong and I think it's worth repairing. I just hope the OEM parts are a direct replacement to the JDM ones that are coming off.

• 5 weeks later...

Same issue - only less noisy.  Slight 'whirring' noise in all gears, at all times.  Does not pop out - though it will pop slightly as I pull from 1st to neutral some times.  But only if I give it the initial push.

Just replaced clutch because T.O. bearing was chattering.  After that was fixed, I began to notice the once undetectable 'whirring' sound of what I believe to be the input shaft bearing.

I did notice that when I replaced the T.O. bearing - there was no sleeve over the shaft and it was slightly tapered and worn.  Typical (88,000mi)?

Am I on the right track and do I need to completely disassemble my trans to fix this?

• 1 month later...

Well......

I pulled the clutch and examined the TO bearing, both turned out to be totally fine.

Drained and filled the gear oil.

Growl is significantly diminished. :burnout:

Was continuing to beat the life out of her on a daily basis ~300 mi. per week mainly highway (3000' elevation gain and loss each way) with a lot of time in 4'th and 5'th.

Then......4'th begins to slip.  :angry:  and I started treating her marginally better but still continued the same commute.

Most recently she has developed an intermittent shrill sound, very high pitched and variable, in 4'th and 5'th and just generally feels very unsafe while in gear at highway speeds.  She's still doing OK 1'st - 3'rd but I'm looking towards parting / scrapping her come the end of Sept.

Mainly because I'm over   :mad::zzz:  :horse::banghead:

Edited by 99lego