Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm having the head gaskets replaced on my daughter's Forester. Friend of the family is a retired Subaru mechanic and has offered to do the job if I supply the parts. Doing entire timing belt, crank seals, cam seals...everything. When I went to the parts store, they asked me if it was an interference engine or not. I felt they should have that in their computer and would know. I went to the Subaru dealer for the parts, minus the head gaskets themselfes. Went with the highly recommended Fel-Pro units. Thanks for the replies.

Interesting info about the Fel-Pro. I went with them due to them being ranked top 3 brands for the job. Friend hasn't started the job yet, so will ask him for his opinion, as well. He actually suggested I don't get the Subaru gaskets because they're the reason he's tearing the engine apart to begin with.

+1 I'd use Subaru for headgaskets

The Gates timing belt kits are awesome - all new pulleys and belt for $115 on Amazon.  Routinely used by Subaru afficianados.

Interesting info about the Fel-Pro. I went with them due to them being ranked top 3 brands for the job..

Fel Pro's were heavily used on older Subaru's, but not touted nearly as much for newer Subaru's.

That being said - some folks have said the Fel Pro's are sometimes identical to the Fel Pro, MLS, and I think even had FUJI info stamped on them. But aftermarket headgaskets can vary - same brand can give you completely different headgaskets for the same engine/part number.  Not sure why/how, but it happens.

Felpro actually makes the composite gaskets for Subaru for the old 2.2s.

Not sure who makes the MLS gaskets for Subaru now. From what Ive read the current 2.5 SOHC Felpro design is the same as the previous Subaru design. The most current Subaru design is supposed to be better, but the guys who work on these all the time tend to use the Subaru turbo head gasket, which is problem free.