Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1999 Forester 2.5 info needed

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tbolt1003

tbolt1003

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Media, PA

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:58 PM

I just need to confirm that the 2.5 in a 1999 Forester is an interference engine, correct? Trying to order some parts and I'm being asked if it's interference or not. Thanks!

#2 ocei77

ocei77

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • Monticello,NY

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:23 PM

All Subaru engines from 1997 on are interference. In addition the 96 2.5DOHC.

May I ask what parts are you ordering where this makes a difference?

O.

#3 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,550 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

Not that it matters, but the 96 dohc AFAIK is only valve to valve, not valve to piston interference...

But yea, what are you ordering that makes it matter?

#4 tbolt1003

tbolt1003

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Media, PA

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

I'm having the head gaskets replaced on my daughter's Forester. Friend of the family is a retired Subaru mechanic and has offered to do the job if I supply the parts. Doing entire timing belt, crank seals, cam seals...everything. When I went to the parts store, they asked me if it was an interference engine or not. I felt they should have that in their computer and would know. I went to the Subaru dealer for the parts, minus the head gaskets themselfes. Went with the highly recommended Fel-Pro units. Thanks for the replies.

#5 Prwa101

Prwa101

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

If i were you id replace the head gasket with the 04-06 sti head gasket from Subaru, if its the SOHC. itll save you a head ake in a couple years.

#6 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,550 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

Yea, using the sti headgaskets for the sohc 2.5 (what you have) is the best. Subaru part number 11044AA642.

The felpros on the EJ engines have been known to be troublesome.

#7 tbolt1003

tbolt1003

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Media, PA

Posted 25 May 2014 - 11:59 AM

Interesting info about the Fel-Pro. I went with them due to them being ranked top 3 brands for the job. Friend hasn't started the job yet, so will ask him for his opinion, as well. He actually suggested I don't get the Subaru gaskets because they're the reason he's tearing the engine apart to begin with.

#8 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,457 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

The Subaru gaskets have been "refined", That's why they are recommended now. Also six star gaskets are top notch for the 2.5 motors too. Don't use Fel Pro for these.

#9 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,802 posts
  • WV

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

+1 I'd use Subaru for headgaskets

The Gates timing belt kits are awesome - all new pulleys and belt for $115 on Amazon.  Routinely used by Subaru afficianados.

Interesting info about the Fel-Pro. I went with them due to them being ranked top 3 brands for the job..

Fel Pro's were heavily used on older Subaru's, but not touted nearly as much for newer Subaru's.

That being said - some folks have said the Fel Pro's are sometimes identical to the Fel Pro, MLS, and I think even had FUJI info stamped on them. But aftermarket headgaskets can vary - same brand can give you completely different headgaskets for the same engine/part number.  Not sure why/how, but it happens.

#10 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,738 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:27 PM

Felpro actually makes the composite gaskets for Subaru for the old 2.2s.
Not sure who makes the MLS gaskets for Subaru now. From what Ive read the current 2.5 SOHC Felpro design is the same as the previous Subaru design. The most current Subaru design is supposed to be better, but the guys who work on these all the time tend to use the Subaru turbo head gasket, which is problem free.

#11 987687

Rally Suby!

• Members
  • 3,550 posts
  • Northern Maine

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:28 PM

As far as I know, the subaru SOHC gaskets are the same crap, that's why I use the STi ones. They're the same price anyway.

#12 Prwa101

Prwa101

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • Sandy, OR

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

^what he said. They maybe have change the design but they still are garbage. Use the STI head gasket. You won't be sorry. This is all we use in our Subaru shop. SSI.

#13 tbolt1003

tbolt1003

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Media, PA

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:32 AM

Thanks for the responses. I'll be getting a set of the STi gaskets for her car. She's in college and I cant afford for this to happen again down the road.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users