Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is the intended purpose of this thing on a Subaru?!?!?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Subaruist

Subaruist

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

This seems to be some port to the interior. It would be great for wires or cables to pass through for lights or antenna, but surely there could be no intention for such to be mounted in this particular spot.

I'm pretty sure it would not be needed for ventilation...

So what purpose was this intended for?

Attached Files

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,604 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:18 PM

Going to move this to the old gen forum; you should get some more comments there.

#3 Discombobulated

Discombobulated

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Thornton, CO

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:33 PM

I have heard that these vents in all cars are to relieve pressure when shutting the doors, makes sense I guess as shutting the doors with the windows open or closed you can feel the pressure difference. But this is all just what I think:)

#4 djellum

djellum

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 613 posts
  • Vancouver WA

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:59 AM

support for the upper seatbelt?  drainage for the T tops?  left over from something the wagons or hatches had?

#5 Leeroy

Leeroy

Old boxer tricks!

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • Albury, NSW, Australia

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:02 AM

I have heard that these vents in all cars are to relieve pressure when shutting the doors, makes sense I guess as shutting the doors with the windows open or closed you can feel the pressure difference. But this is all just what I think:)

+1

Also flow through ventilation needs to exit somewhere, otherwise it would not, well... Flow through!

#6 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,291 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:06 AM

It's a vent to prevent window breakage when the interior temperature gets too hot or when a door is slammed. Pretty much everything in the last 40+ years has had them in one place or another.

#7 Subaruist

Subaruist

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:19 PM

Thanks everyone! I  was hoping it had some more sexy purpose, but I have thought of a couple small uses for it, like to pass through the wires for some accent lighting for those... what are those decorative vent looking covers over that area anyway? lol...

#8 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,393 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 26 May 2014 - 02:36 PM

Thanks everyone! I  was hoping it had some more sexy purpose, but I have thought of a couple small uses for it, like to pass through the wires for some accent lighting for those... what are those decorative vent looking covers over that area anyway? lol...

decorative vent covers Duh.. :)

#9 djellum

djellum

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 613 posts
  • Vancouver WA

Posted 27 May 2014 - 01:08 AM

their speed holes

#10 Subaruist

Subaruist

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 03 June 2014 - 03:00 PM

decorative vent covers Duh.. :)

Uh... I don't think so... I think they would be called "Louvers", so louver covers? Louver panels? Oh what does it matter anyway I guess...

#11 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,101 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 03 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

That is the vent.

Air comes in for A/C and Heat through the cowl...into the ducts.

It goes out through those holes.

Wagons they are in the tailgate.

Xt's they are in the door sill.

but all subarus have them.

vent hole so the cabin isn't a sealed box that can't accept outside air.

#12 Subaruist

Subaruist

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

That is the vent.

Air comes in for A/C and Heat through the cowl...into the ducts.

It goes out through those holes.

Wagons they are in the tailgate.

Xt's they are in the door sill.

but all subarus have them.

vent hole so the cabin isn't a sealed box that can't accept outside air.

I may have to expand on this concept, as I have plans on replacing the sliding rear window in my Brats' cab with a center piece of glass, and panels directly behind the head for speakers to solve the problem of where to put (more) speakers. One narrow pane of glass in the center would not be able to be opened without obstructing the sound from the speakers on one side or the other, but I may be able to figure something out, as I think a vent there, high, between the seats would allow more air through when I have the T-Tops popped. I can also still use the holes here posted about to pass a couple of wires through for LED lighting effects for the Louver covers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users