Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tcase lift on ea82 q's

bushbasher

I'm having some trouble figuring out how to fit the diff in the front. I currently have the material to build a 4" front body lift. I am planning to buy some 6x2 for the front cause I realize that 4" wont cut it. However, the ea82 front suspension puts the front axles right over top of the suspension arm pivots instead of behind. Even with a 6" lift clearance will be tight between the axles and arms, and I may have to angle the axles back 2" to clear the pivots. Do you think this would be okay? 8" is just too high for me.

question 2, the guy at the parts counter stocks metric bolts, but said that the threads for the suspension bolts going into the body do not match his fine or coarse threads. Where can I go to find these bolts?

Progress report: 4" rear lift done but probably will be ripped out and replaced with 6", t-case and rear driveshaft mocked up. Currently, the bottom of t-case sits about 1.5" higher than the bottom of the rear diff with only a 4" lift :brow: . If I go to 6" I'll be laughing

'88 GL SPFI DR wagon, 4" subframe 2" suspension lift, Lada Niva FT4wd T-case w difflock. Welded rear end, dual 1 7/8 exhaust.

What is this Lada Niva FT4wd T-case?? I understand the Full Time Four Wheel Drive Transfer Case part, but what is Lada Niva?? Is it smaller or better than the Nissan Transfer Case??

yeah, I came across that t-case while looking for a nissan one. Its divorced, ft4wd with center difflock, high range reduction 1.2:1, low 2.0:1 its not as tall as a nissan case, but it is an offset output design rather than straight up and down style. Same drive flanges. For my purposes I think it is a better case, it offers extra high range reduction to offset the larger tires, and it continues in the subaru awd tradition. It fits nicely with my smaller lift so that I can keep a good center of gravity. For others it may not be a good choice cause you pretty much have to cut the tranny tunnel to get it packed in there nicely. Also, lada nivas arent anywhere to be found in the states. They are small russian 4x4s, similiar to a suzuki samurai or sidekick but with ifs. They have been imported into Canada a fair amount over the years.

However, the ea82 front suspension puts the front axles right over top of the suspension arm pivots instead of behind. Even with a 6" lift clearance will be tight between the axles and arms, and I may have to angle the axles back 2" to clear the pivots. Do you think this would be okay? 8" is just too high for me.

I'd be careful of doing this. I understand you don't want to be too high with your lift, but moving the front pumpkin back will put your CV joints at an angle while going straight. Which would be OK going straight but would either reduce your turning radius or wreck your CV's quickly. From what I have seen MudRat do on his lifts, 8" is Minimum even on the EA81 cars.

Granted, everthing I've seen has used the Nissan T-Case. However, the lift has to be high enough to stuff the front pumpkin under the tranny and clear the suspension. So the T-Case should not have much to do with the minimum lift.

I plan on going 10-12" with mine, because I want the T-Case up out of the way and I want to run 33" tires with no issues!!!