Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Leaky Front Struts and Rear shocks---Recommend replacement?

Hello guys! I have a '79 4WD that has front struts and rear shocks that are dying a slow, leaky death. I apologize if this topic is like beating a dead horse, but maybe new options have appeared since the old threads I scoured for solutions. Anyway, I'm looking to replace these worn out parts, and as a complete newbie to the 1st gen world, I'm at a loss for where to find replacement parts. I can't seem to find anything for as old as my car easily available. I'd like to either bring her back to stock or do a very mild lift... are there any recommended kits or parts that you fellas could direct me towards? Heck, if any of you have something you're willing to sell me personally that'd be fine too!

Thanks,

Edited by j-karr

I have a 79 Brat.  Recently bought Gabriel G55726 Ultra Struts for it, these are listed for 82-87 Brat.  I have been told they will fit the Gen 1 just about 1 inch shorter in total length.  Looking at themthis apears to be correct, I will report on the results when I get them installed.  Chasing parts to rebuild the whole front end, so it may be a while.

For rear shocks I bought Monroe 33097, they installed and fit fine.  They fit a bunch of 80's fords including Mustang, so they are easy to find.

• Like 2