Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey everyone,

I am up a creek.  I have no idea what do to next.  Bought a 2002 subaru impreza outback a few years ago.  Had a new engine installed prior to my purchase.  Had 140000 miles on the body and has around 100000 miles on the engine.  A few weeks ago began to have problems with the engine starting.  Thought it was a loose cable, cleaned and replaced the cables.  Ran fine a few more days then wouldn't start.  Replaced the battery.  Still wouldn't start.  Replaced the alternator and the starter.  Heard a grind noise and it started.  Turned it off and then it wouldn't start again.  Took the starter off, checked the flywheel with a mirror and a light no damage or bad teeth seen.  Cannot turn the flywheel but for what I see no damage.  Replaced the starter 2 more times (first was TYC most recent was bosch). Now all I get is clicking from the starter solenoid with slow turns from the flywheel.  Any ideas?  Thanks everyone.

Does the engine turn freely by hand?

If so you can inspect the complete flywheel

Have you checked the voltage at the Battery and Starter under load?

Does it make a difference if you put it in neutral?

• Like 1

No, can't turn the engine freely by hand.  Checked the voltage with the last 2 starters under load, as well as the battery it was all okay.  Under neutral no change, no difference.  Will take off the new starter and try to turn the flywheel again as well.  Can try this newest starter underload too. 

Thanks for the help!

So you put a socket on the front crank pulley with the car in neutral and you can not turn the engine over?

If that is the case I'd drain the oil and see if you have part numbers in there.

You could also pull the plugs and then try it.

No, can't turn the engine freely by hand.

if that's true, it has nothing to do with the starter.  i would see what's keeping the engine from turning over.

pull the timing belt covers and see if one of the pulleys, the tensioner, or the belt has failed.

that engine probably needs a new timing belt kit - new pulleys, tensioner ,and belt, if it hasn't broken yet.  they're $115 on amazon and easy to replace.

Edited by grossgary

Cannot turn the flywheel but for what I see no damage.  Replaced the starter 2 more times (first was TYC most recent was bosch). Now all I get is clicking from the starter solenoid with slow turns from the flywheel.  .

OK, does this mean you personally have no tools or workplace to attempt turning the engine by hand?

I think it's imperative to inspect for broken timing belt and related damage. How many miles NOW on the used engine and how old is its timing belt?

If you mean you put your hand on the flywheel and tried to turn it, then no, you will not be able to.

You likely will not be able to turn the crankshaft pulley with your bare hands either.

"By hand" means using a 22mm socket and a large ratchet or breaker bar on the crankshaft pulley bolt to spin the engine.

Slow turning and clicking is a battery problem. Either a poor connection or low charge. Have the battery tested and charged at a parts store if you don't have a charger.