Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Torque binding 2009 Subaru Forester Manual transmission

torque binding manual transmission center differential

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ford'ssubaru's

ford'ssubaru's

USMB is life!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 178 posts
  • SPOKANE

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

I know this has been discussed but right now I am searched out and confused.  I have spent quite abit of time on the older side of this sight but my wife's forester is acting up.  Right now I have the fwd fuse in place and the torque bind is still there.  I wasn't sure of alot of things in the threads already posted.  Is there a difference between Automatic and Manual tranfer duty systems?  Is the clutch assemble filled seperate from the main transmission?  What oils do I use?  When and where do I ad a friction modiffier as suggested?  There seems to be a wide variety of opinions on this.  Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Edited by ford'ssubaru's, 26 May 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,893 posts
  • WV

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:32 PM

manual transmission torque bind only has one solution:  replace the center differential.

doesn't require removing the transmission, just slide the rear extension housing off and swap the VLSD, not terribly difficult and not terribly expensive.

all the stuff you're asking is for automatic transmission center differentials that use a clutch type set up. manual transmissions don't have that, they have a sealed non-electrical, center diff. which means:

only auto's have FWD fuse, so the fuse you put in is doing nothing. it's just a slot for auto transmission models.

"clutch" system is only on automatics, not manuals.  they share the ATF of the transmission.

your manual transmission center diff has a sealed center diff, fluid can not be accessed.

since it's sealed, changing trans fluid or adding anything can not have any affect on torque bind, it's impossible.

#3 ford'ssubaru's

ford'ssubaru's

USMB is life!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 178 posts
  • SPOKANE

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

Thank you for your reply.  It cleared a lot up real quick. 

Cheers

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,828 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

Like Gary said, MTs have a sealed mechanical center diff unit. No electronics or clutch packs. Friction modifiers can not be added or will cause damage to the synchronizers in the transmission.

Before replacing the center diff, you will need to address the cause of the failure which is usually mismatched tire brands, models, or sizes. Or mixing 2 worn tires with 2 new tires. Make sure all 4 tires match and have even treadwear, or the new center diff may suffer the same fate in a short time.

#5 ford'ssubaru's

ford'ssubaru's

USMB is life!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 178 posts
  • SPOKANE

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

Thanks Fairtax,

It's my wife's daily driver so tires are always rotated and matched.  My guess is she has been in the ditch several times pretty badly over the last few years and spun the crap out of the tires in the ditch.  Just guessing.  Problem started shortly after one such incident last winter.

#6 ford'ssubaru's

ford'ssubaru's

USMB is life!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 178 posts
  • SPOKANE

Posted 26 May 2014 - 06:38 PM

How hard is it to rebuild this unit?

#7 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,828 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

You can't rebuild the center diff. At least, not the part that has failed.

They're expensive to buy new, but used is usually a good option. They don't fail often.

#8 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,893 posts
  • WV

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:07 AM

+1 sealed unit, not rebuildable (unless you dive into something never done before or take it to the original manufacturing plant and befriend some of the machinists that turned the casing...etc), but they are relatively easy to replace.

they don't fail terribly often so used is a decent option over the high priced new ones.

www.car-part.com

#9 ford'ssubaru's

ford'ssubaru's

USMB is life!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 178 posts
  • SPOKANE

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

So is 550 dollars typical for new one?

#10 ford'ssubaru's

ford'ssubaru's

USMB is life!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 178 posts
  • SPOKANE

Posted 07 June 2014 - 11:01 PM

Thanks, all,

I finally got the new one and installed.  This job was relatively easy.  Your help gave me the confidence to do it.

Thanks again,

Eric

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: torque binding, manual transmission, center differential

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users