Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best AT filter brand for '98 OBW

I am about to change the AT filter and fluid in my '98 OBW and would ask the collective wisdom of the group their opinion on the best filter and fluid to replace the old. Any thoughts?

Thanks

IMHO, use a dealer tranny filter. It's not likely that you'd ever have to replace it more than once during the life of the vehicle unless you rack up some ungodly amount of miles, or tow constantly and heavy.

The factory filter was installed so tightly on my '02 that I was almost resigned to thinking it was impossible to remove. Also, once the filter is loosed or punctured, a lot of fluid comes pouring out and continues to trickle out (of the valve body) for over an hour, so have a big, wide drain pan and lots of towels handy.

My manual indicates that any Dexron III fluid is acceptable but doublecheck your own before proceeding. I've been using M1 tranny fluid with favorable results.

interesting comments, because the servicemen at the dealer recommends I bring in my '98 Outback wagon for the 120,000 mi. tranny service with which they'll replace the fluid and filter. I also ask because I told them about my "chattering" turns (viscous couplers going bad?) and they told me the tranny service may fix that too. What to do?

thanks

Check this out...

I went to the dealer to pick-up my replacement AT dipstick they lost and I asked about the AT filter, I was told '98 Outbacks don't have a servicable filter per say, but more like metal screens that are simply flushed when the AT system is flushed which is recommended at the AT service mileage (every 3,000 or so). So it looks like I'll be getting my AT system flushed.

Thanks.

Thats going to get pretty spending having a trans flush every 3,000 miles. Sure they didn't say 30,000?

Subarus recomended trans service during scheduled maintanence is a drain and refill every 30,000, unless you tow or drive under very extreme conditions.

I am about to change the AT filter and fluid in my '98 OBW and would ask the collective wisdom of the group their opinion on the best filter and fluid to replace the old. Any thoughts?

Thanks

The replacement spin-on trans filter (if you have the spin-on filter on the left side) is a Hastings TF-170 which has the anti-drainback and wire mesh bypass valve in the center of the filter (replacing the Subaru part number 38325AA032 and 38325KA000).

Also check here:

http://catalog.hastingsfilters.com/

or here:

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp

Thanks! So, you're telling me there IS a replaceable filter in my '98 Outback Wagon? Just need to verify due to what I was told by the parts guy at the Subie dealership ("I believe there is no serviceable filter in a '98 Outback")and before I go buy this part and find I can't use it.

Thanks.

I'm afraid that's where it's done. Walmart sells a blue funnel with a long clear plastic flexible hose that works perfectly for both the ATF and front diff lube, though I use a different funnel for each fluid.