Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EJ22 small coolant leak.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scooner

Scooner

New User

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • Cheyenne, Wyoming

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

uvry.png

Hey all,

I have a 92' Loyale with an EJ22 and i was doing a once over on it today and while underneath i noticed coolant around this plug on the drivers side just above the exhaust. Could someone please inform me as to what this plug is and what function it serves? I appreciate any help, thanks!

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,505 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

There are a couple of those on the EJ blocks. They go into the coolant passages. I guess that one is on the head?

There may be an aluminum seal washer under it. See if its just loose. I think you need a 10 or 12mm hex bit.

#3 Scooner

Scooner

New User

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • Cheyenne, Wyoming

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

It is on the bottom side of the head, kind of a strange plug. I'll try and tighten that sucker up and see if that helps, if nothing else i'll take it out and drain the coolant then reseal the plug with some RTV to help.

Thanks fair!

#4 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,888 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

That caps an unused EGR port If I am not mistaken.

I don't think there is coolant in there.

Coolant leak is likely from somewhere else and just collecting there.  Possibly the water pump seeping?  and the coolant blowing back from wind while driving.

#5 Scooner

Scooner

New User

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • Cheyenne, Wyoming

Posted 26 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

No, that's the craziest part Glo, the coolant is coming from behind the plug! Haha. I went to the car wash today to blast everything off just to make sure and sure enough its seeping from behind it. Not enough to ever spray under pressure, just enough to get a small amount around it. The passenger has the same plug but no coolant around it. Im wondering if maybe i'm about to lose a head gasket... :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users