Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 Legacy GT Limited Automatic Shifting Issue

Hello All.

I recently purchased a 1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited at 180k miles. Car runs great, except for one small (hopefully) problem. Sometimes, when I step on the gas from a dead stop, I can put my foot all the way to the floor and the RPMs stay low (2 to 2.5k), and the car doesn't get up to speed. Eventually, it catches up and takes off like normal. We (my grandfather and I) suspect it to be the TCM perhaps, because it doesn't do that when I drop the shifter into 1st gear manually and take off from a dead stop. The RPMs then go up like they are supposed to. It's a bit frustrating, but hopefully we can get it resolved with your help. My grandfather is more of a mechanic (he used to race, as well) , so don't worry about dumbing anything down.

If you would like anymore info, just ask. And I'm excited to be a part of this forum. You guys have already helped with multiple other small fixes regarding the same car. Great place!

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...