Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1998 Legacy GT Limited Automatic Shifting Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 thefish383

thefish383

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Old Lyme, CT

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:12 PM

Hello All.

I recently purchased a 1998 Subaru Legacy GT Limited at 180k miles. Car runs great, except for one small (hopefully) problem. Sometimes, when I step on the gas from a dead stop, I can put my foot all the way to the floor and the RPMs stay low (2 to 2.5k), and the car doesn't get up to speed. Eventually, it catches up and takes off like normal. We (my grandfather and I) suspect it to be the TCM perhaps, because it doesn't do that when I drop the shifter into 1st gear manually and take off from a dead stop. The RPMs then go up like they are supposed to. It's a bit frustrating, but hopefully we can get it resolved with your help. My grandfather is more of a mechanic (he used to race, as well) , so don't worry about dumbing anything down.

If you would like anymore info, just ask. And I'm excited to be a part of this forum. You guys have already helped with multiple other small fixes regarding the same car. Great place!

Thanks!

#2 lmdew

lmdew

_______

• Members
  • 2,808 posts
  • Colorado Springs

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

Is the AT light flashing 16 times after you start the car?

If so you have a trans fault.

The TCM hardly ever fail more likely an input.  Throttle position sensor...

#3 thefish383

thefish383

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Old Lyme, CT

Posted 26 May 2014 - 05:24 PM

Nope, no lights whatsoever. If it helps, as soon as the car does get up to speed it performs normally.

#4 mzop

mzop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

Ever figure this out, I have same problem, cleaned iacv and throttle body, helped a little, I also have a p0303 code showing for cylinder 3 misfire which I suspect is causing problem.

#5 thefish383

thefish383

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Old Lyme, CT

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:22 PM

Nah, I never figured it out unfortunately. Now the car is just revving really high through first gear, but normalizes as soon as it shifts into second. Warming the car up before shifting into drive seems to help a great deal.

#6 Justcarolynn

Justcarolynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

That's what mine is doing (revving high) from what I'm reading and input from others it's a plugged transmission filter or transmission coolant line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users