Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got a chip in my windshield the other day, something hit it hard while driving 75 MPH. It's the "bullseye" type, no radiating cracks.

Has anyone tried one of the DIY repair kits? Were the results satisfactory?

My insurace will likely pay for a professional repair, but I like to explore my options.

Thanks!

According to the Novus guy, the DIY-kits don't generate enough PSI to force the glue deep into the crack. He said he first drills out the ding, uses a hydraulic piston to generate adequate pressure to push the glue in deep, and cures the glue with UV light. Most shops will offer lifetime guarantee for repairs.

He was going to charge me $60 to fix 4 dings. I haven't decided if it's worth it.

-cl

I had the samething but the next day it was a 8" line:banghead: Just got a new one put two days ago ($120)

I see many places offering to fix the rock chips for free? Not sure what the catch is........? Others want $9.95

Good luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer, no windshield

01 Forester, new windshield

My Legacy had a "closed" chip, ie. round and no lines, in the lower passenger side, and it didn't grow in 62k miles of driving. So, you can be lucky. The car had it when I bought it, and it was too old to fix. The middle of the sandwhich will turn white if you inject glue after it's been open for a while.

Proper fix involves a total vacuum on the area, drilling a tiny hole through the crack, and injecting the glue at the base, so it fills bottom to top. No cavities that way ;-)

The "free" windshield repair catch you talk about is the fact that most insurance companies will waive your comprehensive deductible and pay for the repair in full, making it "free" to you. If you do not have comprehensive, they will not pay for it.

As far as DIY, don't bother!! I have tested them and they don't even come close! If you do try, keep in mind that when it "didn't seem to work right" and you then take it to a professional, just cough up the $$ for the new windshield because it cannot be re-repaired.

After 11 years and over 13,000 windshield repairs, I can assure you the DIY is not the way to go!