Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This is a problem that seems to happen to only 99 and 00 Legacies. My 99 has had the problem, which started 6 years ago. I fix with Trans-X treatment about once a year. Read this post from this forum from 6 years ago. It is lengthy, and tells you want you need to know.............

FIXED!! Trany delayed forward engagement

Trans X will fix the problem.

Thank you gentlemen, will try to source Trans X in Canada. Will let you know how we made out. Thx Jim

Recommend you drain and fill your tranny's ATF, and also replace the spin on tranny filter. If tranny fluid looks dark when draining, then recommend draining and filling 3 times, with short drives between refills. Reason being.......only about half the ATF can be drained out at one time, the non-drain half stays in the torque converter. The 3 times fill and drain does a good job of removing worn out ATF. Add the Trans-X, when replacing the ATF.

Good luck, I have a high level of confidence that Trans-X, the 15 oz size can, will fix your tranny.

Trans-X is carried by many auto parts stores, and even at Wal-Mart, and other big box stores.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again. Absolutely no luck finding Trans X in BC. Does anyone know where we can get it, or do we have to take a trip? Is it still called the same?  Thx Jim

Here in the U.S. Trans-X is available at most auto parts stores, and even Wal-Mart. Prolly best to call some stores to ask if they stock the product. Can't believer it is not available in Canada. I do know it is petroleum based, so it cannot be sent thru the postal system.

If you find it, buy the smaller 15 oz bottle, not the larger 32 oz bottle. Don't know what that converts to in metric sizing where you live.

It's possible Trans-D is marketed under a different name in Canada.

Rooster, is there a difference in the formulas between the 15oz and 32oz bottles?

I ask because I've used both in my friends 99 forester which has the DFE problem. Either one seems to work for about 6 months, then the DFE comes back.